strive4credit

Goodwill letter to Citibank

Here's a Goodwill letter I am sending to Citibank. I emailed it, faxed it and mailed it to two locations. What do you think? Wish me luck!

To Citibank:

I have had the honor and pleasure of having The Home Depot credit card with Citibank since 2007. Throughout our business relationship, I have honored my account agreement to the fullest. I appreciate how good your service has been. I have the utmost respect for Citibank as a financial institution and an American company.

During the recent economic downturn I found myself in a financial bind. During the time when my account was active I made diligent attempts to manage all of my bills. While overwhelmed with debt and trying to pay all of my bills on time the stress caused me to fall ill for a short period of time. l temporarily gave the responsibility of paying my bills to a trusted family member. Unfortunately, that person overlooked my June/July 2009 payment. As a result of this oversight one of my payments to you was delayed and subsequently reported to the credit bureaus as 30 days late.

Maintaining a good reputation with financial institutions is critical. In addition, maintaining that good reputation with Citibank is extremely important to me. I am so grateful for the years of positive credit history I have obtained through your company but now that one late notation is causing me great stress. I have since then enrolled in a repayment plan with automatic withdrawals so the possibility of this reoccurring is slim to none.

I am writing this letter to respectfully request your consideration in making an adjustment based on the circumstances that caused this single late payment. I am fully aware of the policies on accurate reporting. However it is up to the discretion of the company to make any adjustments and the credit bureaus advised me that they will report anything they are instructed. I would be eternally appreciative if you would send a request to the credit bureaus to remove this entry. I plead that you may help me and take into consideration how good of a customer I have been and will continue to be.

So I sent the letter to two addresses, I faxed it to some number a rep gave me. And I emailed to the big wigs.

This what I got back from the email:

Mr. Strive4Credit

I can certainly appreciate the circumstances that impacted your ability to make payment on your account. We are required by law to report your payment history accurately to the credit bureaus. Because your credit profile reflects the manner in which your account was maintained, the account information and payment history reflected on your credit bureau are correct and will not be changed. I regret that I was unable to honor your request.

Sincerely,

R P – Manager

Executive Correspondence and Quality

I interacted with this guy before. He removed some other lates for me. Those lates were truly their fault. I never emailed him but I guess whoever on that email list must have kicked it to him.

Now I will just wait for the snail mail responses. No response from the fax.

Should I respond to his email with a thanks anyway and/or a plleeeeaassee!!!:-(

Edited by strive4credit
proper name deletion

I wonder if they'll reply to the snail mail since they've already replied via email. But you never know. Someone different may get the snail mail and do you the favor??? Did you send it CMRRR? If so, then wait to see who signs for it. If it's the same guy, then reply with something like....

"Thank you for your quick response. I really hope you reconsider. I would like to stress that the information currently being reported IS accurate, (I am not disputing anything with Citibank). I am simply asking you for a courtesy gesture of goodwill in having the credit bureaus remove this account from my report. I do recognize that this request is unique and that it may not be Citibank's normal policy. And while it's true that the Fair Credit Reporting Act requires that any information reported is accurate, please consider that it does not demand that everything regarding the accounts be reported. Therefore, a company does have legal discretion and permission to remove any information it chooses from the credit report. I'm hoping that you will do that in my case for this account.

Your kind reconsideration in this matter is greatly appreciated."

(taken from the sample letters here on cic)

Worth a shot....

Bad news......They said no dice.

The response came as a form letter. It wasn't personal at all.

As far as the email, no response yet.

Next step, send it cmrrr straight to the president. First, I gotta construct a hell of a letter. Then find the presidents address.

To all you goodwill letter writers......never give up!::BigGun:: Keep gunnin!

Wow that sucks. I'm crossing my fingers for you on the email :goodluck:

I myself wrote one to Verizon last week for a final bill I forgot about and went to collections a few years ago. It was for like 28 bucks or something! I paid as soon as I got the first collection call but it was too late, it ended up a paid charge-off. I took the template letter from this site and personalized it. Here's what it said...

To whom this may concern:

I am writing to you today regarding my telephone account #.... which I had while I was residing at 1234 Street Ave in City, CA. The purpose of my correspondence is to see if you would be willing to make a "goodwill" adjustment on the reporting of this account to the credit agencies.

During the time period this account was established I was very happy with the service and made every attempt to honor my account agreement to the fullest. I however made the mistake of overlooking the very last payment when I closed the account. I should have kept better records regarding the account and I take full responsibility. I became aware of the unpaid balance when I got a phone call from a collector collecting the balance due and I immediately paid.

I know that payment was my responsibility and I am not attempting to justify this breach of my user agreement. I was however hoping you might review the circumstances under which this non-payment occurred and consider removing the negative trade line associated with this account from my credit reports.

As soon as I became aware of the balance I paid the balance in full. I provide this not to justify why the account was unpaid, but rather to show that this issue is not a good indicator of my actual credit worthiness. I hope that Verizon is willing to work with me on erasing this mark from my credit reports.

I would like to stress that the information currently being reported is accurate, (I am not disputing anything with Verizon). I am simply asking Verizon for a courtesy gesture of goodwill in having the credit bureaus remove this account from my report. I do recognize that this request is unique and that it may not be Verizon’s normal policy. Please consider that the Fair Credit Reporting Act does not demand that ALL accounts be reported, only that any account that is reported be reported accurately. Therefore, a company does have legal discretion and permission to remove any account it chooses from the credit report. I'm hoping that Verizon will do that in my case for this account.

Your kind consideration in this matter is greatly appreciated.

I faxed it on Thurs. 7/15 and mailed it on Fri. 7/16 CMRRR. I left my email address on the fax but have had no response. I haven't received the green card yet either. I'm hoping/praying I get good results.

The funny thing though when I called to ask for the fax number they automatically knew I wanted to fax something regarding credit reporting. I wonder just how many letters they get regarding these things... I hope they don't look at my letter and think "here's another CIC letter", lol....

Good luck! I would have buttered them up some more by talking about how much of a great company Verizon is and no other company would suit your needs, if I was famous I would endorse Verizon, blah blah blah.

I think it will be cool. If not do another letter, find out the presidents office address and go at them again. Thats what I plan to do with Citibank every month until....

I just need to know if someone out here had any success with them and who they sent it to.

On the phone with them right now. I got two letters today. One from Home Depot credit services requesting more info. Another saying they were unable to remove all the delinquencies. I am totally confused.

But I am on the phone now pouring it on.....wish me luck!:D

That did'nt work! I got bounced around for about an hour. But I sent the same letter to another address today. I sent it to an "Executive Response Unit" ooooooohhhh!;)

My next move is to check my payment history to see if there were any errors.

where do you get these snail and email addresses from!? I sent mine to the address posted on my credit report. And when I called they gave me the fax number to the "credit reporting" department but said there was no email.

I never got a response from the fax but I got my read receipt in the mail a couple of days ago so I know it's been received. Now, to wait for a response............. :shock:

Crfix I got some stuff for you. While you are on here do a search on how to get corporate email addresses. It's deep stuff. And it's fun to do. I will try to find the link too.

Just yesterday I sent out an email to everybody on my HSBC contact list about my wife's account and I kid you not I got like 5 calls from people ready to handle the issue.

This is going to be fun going back and forth with you about this!

But just in case you get frustrated which companies are you trying to get with?

I might have a list already in the barell::BigGun::

OP, I'm having the same problem with Citibank/Fredmeyers.

I thought I paid my balance in full, I had a 5.05$ reoccurring interest charge, but I had changed to paperless billing so I never saw it. stupid of me not to check I know, they never even tried to call me to get the money, I would have paid it immediately.

so far after 2 attempts they've said the same thing.

not sure what else to try, would be interested to see what you out!

Can you find the name out of the guy you spoke to and write him directly? Explain to him what happened. Remind him that while they do have to report accurately, they don't have to report EVERYTHING. Then hope for the best. If they say no. Keep trying! Maybe they'll do it just so you stop calling/writing! :D

@strive4credit - As far as good willin' goes, I'm only dealing with Verizon. I'm also PFD'ing Cornerstone Credit Svc, a local Anchorage CA. I'm also dealing with Asset Acceptance, ick! I'm scared of Asset! lol I've seen quite a few lawsuits around here from Asset and I want to avoid that as much as I can. The SOL for Asset is about 7 more months or so so I'm hoping I make it that far and then I'll try to PFD them.

I'm gonna go do a search for "corporate email addresses".. this way, if Verizon doesn't agree to my GW letter, at least I won't have to give up!

Still waiting on a written response... *sigh*........

well boo-hoo.... I received a reply in the mail from Verizon and my request was de-nied! :waah:

It's just a form letter. It says....

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Customer support. We recently received your notification of dispute. Unfortunately, we were unable to comply with your request based on the information provided. If you have further information you would like to provide us regarding this dispute, please contact us at....

Please note that under the FDCPA a creditor collecting its own debts is not a "debt collector". Any request for "debt validation" pursuant to Section 15 USC 1692g of the FDCPA is therefore not applicable to Verizon.

We appreciate.....blah blah blah

:cry: So no goodwill from Verizon. At least not yet. I just got the email addy of the CEO so I'm going to forward the letter to him and remind him that this is not a dispute but a request for goodwill on their part. Fingers crossed! :wink:

First of all, don't give up. Thats the first rule in goodwilling!

So last time my situation was bleek.....no, no, no, from everyone.

Then I thought I will resend/email a tweeked up letter straight to the Pres. of Citibank and Home Depot. I doctored up the letter a little. Pay attention to the P.S.

To Citibank:

I have had the honor and pleasure of having The Home Depot credit card with Citibank since 2007. Throughout our business relationship, I have honored my account agreement to the fullest. I appreciate how good your service has been. I have the utmost respect for Citibank as a financial institution and an American company. Also, I continue to shop at The Home Depot for all of my home improvement needs. The quality of service provided by both entities makes their partnership an incredible alliance.

I am sending this correspondence to humbly ask for your assistance in a matter in which I have exhausted my resources. During the recent economic downturn I found myself in a financial bind. During the time when my account was active I made diligent attempts to manage all of my bills. While overwhelmed with debt and trying to pay all of my bills on time the stress caused me to fall ill for a short period of time. l temporarily gave the responsibility of paying my bills to a trusted family member. Unfortunately, that person overlooked my June/July 2009 payment. As a result of this oversight one of my payments to you was delayed and subsequently reported to the credit bureaus as 30 days late.

Maintaining a good reputation with financial institutions is critical. In addition, maintaining that good reputation with Citibank is extremely important to me. I am so grateful for the years of positive credit history I have obtained through your company but now that one late notation is causing me great stress. I have since then enrolled in a repayment plan with automatic withdrawals so the possibility of this reoccurring is slim to none.

I am writing this letter to respectfully request your consideration in making an adjustment based on the circumstances that caused this single late payment. I am fully aware of the policies on accurate reporting. However it is up to the discretion of the company to make any adjustments and the credit bureaus advised me that they will report anything they are instructed. I would be eternally appreciative if you would send a request to the credit bureaus to remove this entry. I plead that you may help me and take into consideration how good of a customer I have been and will continue to be.

Respectfully yours,

strive4credit

P.S. I previously sent this letter in which the responses characterized the limited authorization of all the representatives I came in contact. Please contact me if there is a need to know which representatives I spoke with.

Edited by strive4credit

@Robry.....I would write a goodwill to Fredmeyers, sort of like the one I have.

But check this out here is the new scoop. I got a call from a citibank rep who says it was taken care of and he would send out a letter, blah, blah. I got his number so I can follow up with him. He claimed he works under the dude that kept saying "no" and that the dude was on vacation. Whatever!

I think what happened was when I sent this new letter out to both the ceo's, complete with that post script somebody got chewed out. And the original "refusal dude" was to embarrassed to call so he got his flunkie to do it.

I will be checking my report everyday till I see it drop. Or check my mail for the letter he claim was sent. If no change or no letter, I will call the "flunkie dude" back and if he get stupid I will be sending another email to the big boys!:twisted:

• Like 1

Well, well, well, after days of checking my report and still seeing that 30 day late even after I received personal letters stating it would be taken care of..........today I check it and POOF! GONE!

Let's hear it for goodwill letters!:D

Once again CIC Warriors it's who the letter gets to and not necessarily the quality although that is important.:)++

do you mind sharing with me who you sent the letter to at Citibank so I can try to get a letter to them as well? I would really appreciate it!

@strive - Awesome news!!! :D Good to see you're a successful begger, lol. j/k ;) I think I need more practice...

I didn't give up. I sent my letter, via email to the CEO of Verizon. I received no reply. Three weeks later, I forwarded the email again and begged him to please consider my request. The next day, I received a phone call from someone in his office! Very nice lady. :) She said she would do her best to investigate and see what she could do. About 4-5 days later, she called back to say she did not have good news. :( Said they aren't able to remove it and apologized again.

I'm thinking of calling her back and asking her if she can at least take off the "Paid Charge Off" detail and maybe change it to "Paid in Full" or just "Paid". It's a collection I paid right away a billion years ago! I think I'll beg some more too to see if she can just get it removed completely. I really *really* want it (need it) removed...

@strive4credit

I love the fact that you were successful with CitiBank. I too am trying to contact them. I wrote them and they have responded but they did not answer my question at all. they didnt say yes and they didnt say no. all they did was tell me my balance. I wantes to know if you mind sharing with me who you sent the letter to at Citibank? I would really, really, really, REALLY appreciate it!