Beach Bum

Refusal of a PFD

Hubs and I have a collection on our CR that we want to pay off.

We spoke to the company first, to see if we could work out a payment agreement with them, but they told us it'd been turned over to the CA already.

We then called the CA, and got nowhere with them. We truly thought that they would call us back, seeing as how they now have our contact information, and maybe they would offer us a settlement.

They never called back. So we called back a couple of weeks later, and spoke to someone at the OC, instead of dealing with the people at the CA. He spoke to the guy at the OC, and the conversation ended up with the guy on the other end being pretty nasty, and absolutely refusing to give us a PFD letter. He said, "Why would I do that? How would that benefit me?" Hubs was like, "Well, you'd get your money." He said he didn't care - that it was against company policy to issue a PFD.

So I decided I'd call. I asked the receptionist for the name of the person who spoke to my husband, and she gave me the name. I then asked for the position this person held, and she informed me that he was the President of the company. The President. There is no going higher than the President. We can't complain to Customer Service, we can't do anything.

Have you ever heard of anyone refusing a PFD? Is there anything you can do? It's one of only a few collections left on our reports, and I've been told that paying collections without a PFD isn't really going to help much, because they still show up as a collection, albeit a paid one.

A PFD is up to the discretion of the OC/CA. They don't have to agree to it if they don't want to. It isn't something that is "company policy" or that's common practice. It's simply an offer on your part. Some OC/CAs go for it, others don't. If they don't, then it's up to you what you want to do next.

From my short experience here, I've learned that it is never a good idea to deal with CAs on the phone. And any offer you put on the table (settlement, PFD) should all be done in writing because otherwise, they could agree verbally and then not follow through with their end of the deal. And with nothing in writing, it's your word against theirs...

In my opinion the whole PDF system is pretty much wishful thinking. It is worth taking the shot to see if you get lucky, but do not count on it. Over the years I have tried it maybe 9 times and basically been laughed at all 9 times.

Generally speaking your next step depends on your circumstance. If you "have" to get the collection paid or removed proceed with the various systems detailed on this wonderful site. If on the other hand you just "want" to deal with it, if they are not bothering you about it, then I would not bother them.

I'm new at this but.... so far PFD has worked for two of the companies I have sent letters to. One was a CA for a medical bill and the other to a CA for an over-draw at a bank. Both defaults were less than a year old. At first I was doubtful that PFD would work, then thought it might work only for old accounts...but it worked for these new accounts. ( Bills were: for less than $100 and less than $400. )

So I'm thinking : success might make a difference- in the amount owed and who the CA is and how old the bill is.

I would try again ...but send a letter this time....I address mine to:

Atten: Manager of Client Accounts

(Still have 3 I'm working on)