scorch

Can anyone recomend a great white wine?

25 posts in this topic

Right, so my GF is a big fan of white wine. I'm not much of a wine connoisseur as I'm more of a beer kind of guy, but I'll still drink it. She likes the smooth stuff and as I pretty much have no idea where to start beyond a few suggestions, can anyone recommend a great white wine?

Thanks.

Depends on what you want to spend. Also how refined the drinker is. Saying that, some cheep wine actually tastes better than expensive wine.

Are you looing for a corked wine, or a twist off :mrgreen: Hey I buy wine at Sams...

Assuming it has meaning to you as you would not have asked here, and that your willing to pay 10-15 for a small bottle, but i'm not, as there is to many good wines for under $8 now.

Try a german white. They are a bit sweet and most like them quite well. If she knows her wines a bit go California chardonnay as it's dryer and more body, get it in the big bottle for less money at the supermarket!

• Like 1

Right, so my GF is a big fan of white wine. I'm not much of a wine connoisseur as I'm more of a beer kind of guy, but I'll still drink it. She likes the smooth stuff and as I pretty much have no idea where to start beyond a few suggestions, can anyone recommend a great white wine?

Thanks.

Sauvignon Blanc Dry but nice.

• Like 1

Thanks.

That depends on a lot, as 'white wine' is a very broad category. So, here are a few of recommendations. Both are excellent wines. As you can see, I usually drink white wines in the 15-20 dollar range so that may or may not fit your budget, I don't know.

http://wine.appellationamerica.com/wine-reviews/1753/tangent-Winery-2006-Ecclestone.html

http://www.wine.com/V6/Leitz-Dragonstone-Riesling-2007/wine/95287/detail.aspx

•Pinot Grigio is best paired with foods that are light and simple such as chicken, pasta and light fish dishes. Pinot Grigio does not pair well with cream sauces or meats with a distinctive game taste. Chardonnay pairs well with more complex and heavier meals such as lobster, pork dishes and heavy, cream sauces. Chardonnay does not pair well with red meats or "fishy"-tasting seafood.

(I don't have enough posts to insert a link here so Google for 'What is the Difference Between Pinot Grigio & Chadonnay? on eHow.com.)

If you are looking for a a good white. Ask your self does she like dry or sweet. One you know that then does she like a lite white or full body. If you let me know that i can tell you some good ones.

Good Luck

I happen to be a huge fan of Pinot Grigio! Chardonnay I find a little too dry for my taste, and Reisling can sometimes be too sweet. But, its all up to what you like and what you are pairing the wine with!

but there are other considerations to take into account. what your eating, what you have already drank before, and what your doing later. Just your research alone proves you care so anything you try will go well. She will tell you if she has a preference. so get 6 different kinds and let her choose.

go to a beverage barn type place they have usually good deals on 6 bottles. out here we have BevMo which has buy one get the second for a nickel deals all the time.

I always go with a local WA wine... it's a Riesling from Chateau Ste Michele, costs about 10 bucks a bottle but it's great!

Pinot Grigio is a great white from Italy and mostly inexpensive. Puligny-Montrachet is a white Bordeaux from France that is extremely expensive, but worth it! My favorite!

find a store that sells this

rene barbier, white

you can also order cases online from places like overstock. per bottle at a store like trader joes should be about $3.99 or $4.99 max

Rene Barbier Mediterranean White wine from Spain

Rene Barbier Mediterranean wines - wine from Spain

i love drinking this after a meal, well, when i was drinking.

or when you get home and want to unwind before bed.

its soft and light, wonderful on its own

I always go with a local WA wine... it's a Riesling from Chateau Ste Michele, costs about 10 bucks a bottle but it's great!

:)++

A great White wine Cakebread is the Winery try the sauvignon blanc from Napa Valley I was born and raised there and wine tours any other questions let me know...

I usually get Two Buck Chuck (actually $2.99 now.  Inflation) at Trader Joe's.  

The trick is, find a more expensive wine of the same type.  Then, keep the bottle around but keep refilling it with the 2-Buck Chuck.  

Try to get as close in taste as possible.  If the 2-Buck Chuck isn't sweet, but the fancy stuff is, this won't work.