Wow, just called a lawyer and....

Gosh, I just went to the NACA website to try and find an attorney in my area that can help me settle with Capital One. I found a lawyer by the name of Steven Shane. I got him on the phone, told him I was being sued by WWR on behalf of Capital One. He told me that he only deals with collection agencies, not attornies and "in short I can't help you, thank you" and then hung up on me!!! WOW! Hello!! I have money to pay you to help me settle this debt and you don't want my business?? Who wouldn't want to take say $600 to file some paperwork for me and let me pay my debt? Unbelievable!!

Don't ever call Steven Shane bc he will only hang up on you!

That being said, what type of lawyer do I need if I want to settle this debt and try to work out the best arrangement. I just want to pay a lump sum so what can deal do you all think would be the best if they say I owe $2700. The prinicple was $1000. The rest is fees and interest. 40%? 50%?

Gosh, I just went to the NACA website to try and find an attorney in my area that can help me settle with Capital One. I found a lawyer by the name of Steven Shane. I got him on the phone, told him I was being sued by WWR on behalf of Capital One. He told me that he only deals with collection agencies, not attornies and "in short I can't help you, thank you" and then hung up on me!!! WOW! Hello!! I have money to pay you to help me settle this debt and you don't want my business?? Who wouldn't want to take say $600 to file some paperwork for me and let me pay my debt? Unbelievable!!

Don't ever call Steven Shane bc he will only hang up on you!

That being said, what type of lawyer do I need if I want to settle this debt and try to work out the best arrangement. I just want to pay a lump sum so what can deal do you all think would be the best if they say I owe $2700. The prinicple was $1000. The rest is fees and interest. 40%? 50%?

Just in case you run up against this again, I think

weltman is also a CA... and they have also been mentioned as being a JDB,,

although that info is a little sketchy. That came from Ripoff...

Anyway, Weltman, W &R contacted me in spring of 09 with a dunning

letter that said it was from a debt collector... It was later , maybe 6 months or so, after DVing... (long story) I got a summons from them.

So I would say they could be all of the above and if you do a check on them, then you can tell that to the next atty you call.

What kind of Atty I can not suggest.

Could you not just call Crap One and tell them you need to speak to whomever does their settlement department and go from there?

Just an FYI, I didn't have much luck with the NACA lawyer I called either. His name is Steven Koval and he was super nice and said he would represent me on contingency for FDCPA violations against Z&A. I had 4 on them and 1 FCRA violation on OC, rock solid. I sent him all the info and never heard from him again :(

I called him and emailed him but he never replied back.:evil:

Same here. Mine was the only one listed in my area (upstate South Carolina) he told me a lot of ....interesting things.

1- that debt buyers and collection agencies bring the proper evidence to court "90-95%" of the time so I should even bother fighting them basically if I get sued.

2- That none of the people (including lawyers) on these message boards knew anything at all about what they were talking about concerning settlement/litigation as it pertained to credit cards.

3- Best and easiest thing I could do was declare bankruptcy.

4- I should ONLY believe what I read on FTC.gov regarding debts/laws/settlement.

and more such talk.

When I tested him he did correctly know the laws in my state concerning garnishment/exemptions/Judgment renewal so he wasnt a complete moron.

Just close. 8-)

Just in case you run up against this again, I think

weltman is also a CA... and they have also been mentioned as being a JDB,,

although that info is a little sketchy. That came from Ripoff...

Anyway, Weltman, W &R contacted me in spring of 09 with a dunning

letter that said it was from a debt collector... It was later , maybe 6 months or so, after DVing... (long story) I got a summons from them.

So I would say they could be all of the above and if you do a check on them, then you can tell that to the next atty you call.

What kind of Atty I can not suggest.

Could you not just call Crap One and tell them you need to speak to whomever does their settlement department and go from there?

I'm not sure if I could call Crap One or not....I did call WWR today and asked if we could settle. I offered them 40% and they said no. They said they would take 75%. I can't file Chapter 7 bc I did that 5 years ago. I could file Chapter 13 but wouldn't I still be paying them if I did that?

I just wish I knew what a fair amount to offer them to settle would be.....any suggestions?

Guest chuckygee
I'm not sure if I could call Crap One or not....I did call WWR today and asked if we could settle. I offered them 40% and they said no. They said they would take 75%. I can't file Chapter 7 bc I did that 5 years ago. I could file Chapter 13 but wouldn't I still be paying them if I did that?

I just wish I knew what a fair amount to offer them to settle would be.....any suggestions?

Don't call WWR, call Cap1. Their is no benefit for the attorney's to settle for a lesser amount. They will make more money pursuing in court for billable events or hours. Call Cap1 directly. You are likely to get a better deal.

Don't call WWR, call Cap1. Their is no benefit for the attorney's to settle for a lesser amount. They will make more money pursuing in court for billable events or hours. Call Cap1 directly. You are likely to get a better deal.

What if I call Cap1 and they tell me my debts been sold or written off? What number do I call, just regular Cap1 number? Thanks!

Guest chuckygee

Send the offer in a letter:

Capital One

Attn: Legal/Arbitration Dept

1500 Capital One Drive

Richmond, VA 23238

Don't acknowledge liability, just state "to limit time and litigation cost I propose the following settlement offer".....

Send the offer in a letter:

Capital One

Attn: Legal/Arbitration Dept

1500 Capital One Drive

Richmond, VA 23238

Don't acknowledge liability, just state "to limit time and litigation cost I propose the following settlement offer".....

Thank you!! What if I don't hear back before my court date which is Sept. 27th? Do I show up in court and tell the judge that I called WWR to try and settle and they refused so I've sent a letter to OC and see what the judge says?

I'd answer the suit to both a) buy you some time to figure out what you want to do and B) force them to show their hand. You never know - they might have nada. If they do, this might dictate how much if any you are willing to settle for.

By answering the suit do you mean file for arbitration? I'm on the phone with Cap1 right now, on hold waiting for a rep. I tried calling and entering my acct. number and it transferred me to National Attorney Network. Not sure why.

I dunno the exact default date but I'd guess 18 months ago was the last payment?

If it was 18 months ago, the agreement had an arbitration clause. So you can elect arbitration. And file a motion to compel arbitration. Please read up more in the arbitration section.