IngridA

What is Citibank doing here?

I'm going to give a timeline of the events on my Citibank card and ask for some opinions, because I do not really know what's going on.

First, I live in SC, and there is no wage garnishment for credit card debt judgements in SC. I'm the stay at home parent at the moment, so I don't have a job outside the house currently.

I fell behind on my Citibank card, balance was about $6.5k at the time...this was back in late 2007. Account went to collections in March, 2008. I DV'd the collection agency within the 30 days, and never received anything. Nothing was placed on CR from CA.

Heard nothing on this account until June, 2010, when I received a new collection letter from a new CA. Never received a statement from Citibank and the balance was being recorded as charged off on the CR. I DV'd CA timely, and they responded with pretty lousy documentation - basically a statement on their letterhead saying that they had the account and the balance was XXX. Never heard from them after that.

Received a new letter from a different CA earlier this month (August, 2010). Timely DV was sent and I haven't received anything back from them yet. BUT, (and this is where it gets interesting) - I just got the mail today and I received a statement from Citibank. The beginning balance corresponds to the balance that the CA gave, but now they are charging me monthly interest, as if the account was still active. This is the first statement I have received from Citibank since the account went to collections originally.

Have they pulled the account from collections? I thought the account was charged off, but if they are now charging me interest, is this not the case? Is this their response to my DV request?

I can't make payments to them right now, we are very short on our monthly income and we have a slew of medical bills coming in from a hospital stay that my daughter had in July, so I'm fighting to keep those bills out of collections. My hope would be to at some point offer them a settlement, but I don't know when I will have the cash to do that.

Anyway, thoughts and opinions and advice are very much appreciated!

Ingrid

"we have a slew of medical bills coming in from a hospital stay that my daughter had in July, so I'm fighting to keep those bills out of collections. My hope would be to at some point offer them a settlement, but I don't know when I will have the cash to do that."

I really cant tell you much about your situation with Citibank. But I will tell you this! My wife is stay at home, we just had a baby and received a 12,000 dollar bill from the hospital for services not covered by insurance due to doctors being out of network at a in-network hospital. I called the hospital and spoke to a patient advocate about not having the means to pay 12,000 and the insurance not covering me in a in-network hospital. They reviewed my case and the final outcome was I had to pay as if everything was covered by my insurance “co-pays” the total was just under 500 dollars. As for the small bills try to negotiate a lower amount with the doctors/labs ect.. Sometimes they will write it off as bad debt at no cost to you. The best thing of all is NOTHING will be reported to credit bureau unless you ignore them and let it go to collections.

BE PUSHY DON’T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER, CALL EVERY DAY IF YOU HAVE TO, TALK TO THE OFFICE MANAGERS BE SWEET BUT HARD AS A ROCK, FULFILL ALL PROMISES AND COMPLETE ALL PAPER WORK IN A TIMELY MANER.

Please tell me how you make out..

I have no knowledge or experience with an Original Creditor a few years after a charge off starting to send statements again charging interest. I doubt Citibank owns the debt any longer but I know I would use my money on my Family needs in your particular situation. I wouldn't pay a debt collector a penny now or if I won $300 Million in the Lottery I still wouldn't pay them a penny. Send the proper request for validation letter to them and you'll never hear from them again. A friend has been unemployed a year and a half and told me about his credit card woes having had 8 accounts recently charged off. I've assisted him with responding to numerous dunning letters and he has yet to get one attempt at a validation reply.

Junkey and Massive,

Thanks very much for your replies. :)

We are lucky to have insurance, which has covered mostly everything...there are some small co-pays here and there from the various doctors and I'll just have to tackle these a little at a time...the major bill is from the hospital at about $2k, and I'll just have to set up a payment plan for them...we have some other medical bills from a previous hospital visit from June for a different procedure, and I have applied for financial assistance for that...they said it would take 12 weeks to process.

In the meantime I am planning on setting up an appt with a NACA lawyer in regards to a different creditor issue, and I may just bring in my paperwork with Citi and ask him what he thinks...

Ingrid