Sign in to follow this  
WestCoastGuy

how long does it take for a judgement to show up on the credit report?

Hi, i really got screwed on a unlawful detainer lawsuit here in california, now i must move my family within 15 days.. im worried as im looking for a new rental the judgement may show up, does anyone know how long it takes to show up? thanks in advance..88-)

Have no experience with judgments showing up on credit reports. Had 5 judgments years ago but none ever appeared on any credit report.

Have no experience with judgments showing up on credit reports. Had 5 judgments years ago but none ever appeared on any credit report.

How would anyone know they ever had one? Would you get a letter?

I suppose if they were legitimate judgments they would have posted them on my credit reports but I have perfect credit now.

i went to court and lost a lawsuit, (that is a judgement right? or am i tripping)

lol you might want to check your credit reports if your unsure.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

I recently moved out of an apartment who tried to take me to court because they had horrible bookkeeping skills and didn't realize that I had already paid off the rent and turned in the keys even though they were right there when I did it. So they called a lawyer on me and tried to bill me $800 for the rent and legal fees lol! A judgment showed up on my Lexis/Nexis file within two months. :roll:

Depends on whether the court you were sued in is a court of record or not. If it is a court of record, I've seen it be as fast as 10 days. If it is not can take up to 3 months. Also this has really nothing to do with a judgment creditor, judgments are public records so the CRA's find these themselves. Years ago before technology was as advanced they literally would employ people to go down to court houses and search the dockets. Now companies like Nexis and Accurint are able to collect this information in bulk and sell it to the CRA's for convenience purposes.