How to look up a person's SSN to enforce a judgment

Gandolf

Guest usctrojanalum

Finding someone who doesn't want to be found.

This is called skip tracing. You have to be kidding. And basically all location information is a public record so if someone does not want to be found they basically need to live in a cave.

It also is easy to use for identity theft.

lol, no.

And don't tell me just being a lawyer makes it ok. Lawyers are often the worst offenders when it comes to unscrupulous. And any sort of debt collector or process server is just about the bottom of the civil scale. Law enforcement looks at stuff they aren't supposed to, but at least there is some sort of trail and accountability.

:confused: I'm not even sure what any of this means.

Everything. And the last 4 digits are printed on many other things so it's easy to compile the info together.

What can be done with it is exactly what you are doing. Finding someone who doesn't want to be found.

It also is easy to use for identity theft.

The person whose SSN was looked up ripped me off for 1,000's of dollars. He broke his word on a contract he signed in order for me to lend him money. He refuses to acknowledge any attempt I make to contact him and resolve this matter, so that is why it has come to this. Why you are acting like this guy (the one whose SSN was pulled) is the victim here is beyond me.

And the person here - no offense - just claimed they needed it for a permissible purpose, and someone with access was willing to look it up just like that.

You don't know what went on behind closed doors between myself and the person who was kind enough to help me locate the SSN. From the person's information that I provided, they would have been able to go in and check the public record databases to verify what I was saying about the fact that I have a judgment against this particular individual. Did that ever cross your mind?

And don't tell me just being a lawyer makes it ok. Lawyers are often the worst offenders when it comes to unscrupulous.
I have access to SSNs (partially redacted), voting registrations, criminal backgrounds, bankruptcy records, all assets, all mortgage info, lifetime address and phone records, business records (state licenses), and judgments. The database is there, among other reasons, so that people cannot escape liability for their actions. I realize that this rubs people the wrong way who think that anonymity is bliss in order to create a debtor's paradise.

Guest usctrojanalum
I have access to SSNs (partially redacted), voting registrations, criminal backgrounds, bankruptcy records, all assets, all mortgage info, lifetime address and phone records, business records (state licenses), and judgments. The database is there, among other reasons, so that people cannot escape liability for their actions. I realize that this rubs people the wrong way who think that anonymity is bliss in order to create a debtor's paradise.

All of the records I bolded are public records, everyone has access to this information.

Gandoff - no I don't know what you went through, and that's not the point.

As citizens we try to get laws to protect us. We have laws that say that we should have access to information collected and disseminated about us and that we have the right to have it corrected. Certainly this type of database serves the same purpose as any of the three credit bureaus. Yet CB is where all the attention is focused.

I do know that thousands of people have the need for privacy. That's why we try to enact laws to prevent public disclosure of personal info. To save lives. To prevent id theft, etc. It's not funny at all to the victims. I personally have experienced both. Nothing on my credit report is the truth. So I'm guessing there is a lot of other inaccurate info out there.

Lots of people break rules. And 'skip tracing' in that manner is just one sort of breaking of rules.

Gandoff - no I don't know what you went through, and that's not the point.

As citizens we try to get laws to protect us. We have laws that say that we should have access to information collected and disseminated about us and that we have the right to have it corrected. Certainly this type of database serves the same purpose as any of the three credit bureaus. Yet CB is where all the attention is focused.

I do know that thousands of people have the need for privacy. That's why we try to enact laws to prevent public disclosure of personal info. To save lives. To prevent id theft, etc. It's not funny at all to the victims. I personally have experienced both. Nothing on my credit report is the truth. So I'm guessing there is a lot of other inaccurate info out there.

Lots of people break rules. And 'skip tracing' in that manner is just one sort of breaking of rules.

Well YOU might think it's "not the point" that this guy ripped me off and thus forced my hand in all of this by refusing to reply to my contacts and those of the court, but I would disagree as I'm sure most people in my position would as well.

If you run around ripping people off left and right, and then attempt to go into hiding, that will only work for so long, karma is bound to come back and bite you. It's just common sense and we wouldn't have much of a society if there did not exist checks and balances to allow deadbeats to be found and ultimately be held accountable for their actions.

Rippedoff apperently thinks we have a right to be anonymous. We don't. The fact that some scumbag got involved in identity theft doesn't mean that everyone else shouldn't be traceable. I have a few clients with judgments against complete deadbeats. Without the database, it is almost impossible to locate them. Should one person's identity theft prevent me from collecting on behalf of my clients? I hardly think so. My clients had their services stolen from them with the debtor telling them to piss off. They deserve to pay.

What you did was wrong.

Maybe in your OPINION it was wrong, but I certainly disagree and others here seem to agree with me.

If it wasn't, you would have used legitimate means to get the info.

Who is to say that I didn't use legitimate means to get it? Again, you are letting your own personal emotions bias you in what you write here.

Edited by Gandolf
Spelling

Boy, O Boy! It seems the simply questions have the most difficult answers. My question was on Gramm-Leach-Bliley and Fair Credit Reporting Acts having any bearing on the OP’s position of acquiring an SSN, or any other personal information that’s not easily available.

Responses from Gandolf, USC, and JG are rather disturbing in their rationale. Maybe Gramm-Leach-Bliley and Fair Credit Reporting Acts were violated via this blog, maybe they weren’t….but this is cavalier attitude is going where angels fear to tread IMHO.

How can these three people make a judgment and produce an action not available for Gandolf in Court…and feel comfortable about it? Incredible!!!!

I guess the answer will arrive when Gandolf presents his information to a Court or an Institution. I eagerly await reading the results.

Edited by Templar

Boy, O Boy! It seems the simply questions have the most difficult answers. My question was on Gramm-Leach-Bliley and Fair Credit Reporting Acts having any bearing on the OP’s position of acquiring an SSN, or any other personal information that’s not easily available.

Responses from Gandolf, USC, and JG are rather disturbing in their rationale. Maybe Gramm-Leach-Bliley and Fair Credit Reporting Acts were violated via this blog, maybe they weren’t….but this is cavalier attitude is going where angels fear to tread IMHO.

How can these three people make a judgment and produce an action not available for Gandolf in Court…and feel comfortable about it? Incredible!!!!

I guess the answer will arrive when Gandolf presents his information to a Court or an Institution. I eagerly await reading the results.

My guess is that they don't even ask about how I obtained the SSN, but I guess we will see.

Just because someone has wronged you does not mean you are allowed to break the law to correct that wrong, even if the courts agree if you have been wronged. If that was the case, then we would have anarchy as people would be shooting people because the shooter felt wronged. To the OP, I do not care what the debtor put you through, there is still a process in which you have to follow to collect on a judgment.

Now we do not know what PMs were sent between the OP and the lawyer who used his database to get the SSN but I pray that the OP was at least required to prove they had a judgment. Even there however, I see some issues such as being able to correct the information. This sounds almost like the "Do Not Fly" database that you cannot access but if your name comes up, you are screwed. Not only that, but to be passing SSNs across the internet seems to be very worrisome. The ability to steal is just too great for that information to be going across unsecure channels such as this board (and any decent hacker who knows how to do SQL injection would see those PMs).

Yes, I know there are deadbeats who hid assets and need to be traced. It is acceptable for a detective to be able to find those people using a database. However, in this case, there was not a client-attorney relationship and hence, I think was an invalid use, no matter how much of a deadbeat the debtor is.

Finally, to the OP, you still IMHO seem to have revenge in mind. Are you ready for the debtor to declare BK once you start attaching assets? Are you ready to return any assets seized in the past 90 days as required by Federal BK Law? Are you ready to share anything that is available in the estate with all the other creditors (and I am sure there are other creditors)? Finally, are you ready to see your judgment turn into outhouse paper with legalize on it without collecting a cent for all your trouble? If you look around this board, you will see that this is the recommended advice quite a bit once someone like your debtor ends up in the situation they are in.

Simply put, regardless of whether the OP has been screwed over or not, no one has the right to break the law simply to right the wrong. 2 wrongs do not make a right.

Just because someone has wronged you does not mean you are allowed to break the law to correct that wrong, even if the courts agree if you have been wronged. If that was the case, then we would have anarchy as people would be shooting people because the shooter felt wronged. To the OP, I do not care what the debtor put you through, there is still a process in which you have to follow to collect on a judgment.

Now we do not know what PMs were sent between the OP and the lawyer who used his database to get the SSN but I pray that the OP was at least required to prove they had a judgment. Even there however, I see some issues such as being able to correct the information. This sounds almost like the "Do Not Fly" database that you cannot access but if your name comes up, you are screwed. Not only that, but to be passing SSNs across the internet seems to be very worrisome. The ability to steal is just too great for that information to be going across unsecure channels such as this board (and any decent hacker who knows how to do SQL injection would see those PMs).

Yes, I know there are deadbeats who hid assets and need to be traced. It is acceptable for a detective to be able to find those people using a database. However, in this case, there was not a client-attorney relationship and hence, I think was an invalid use, no matter how much of a deadbeat the debtor is.

Finally, to the OP, you still IMHO seem to have revenge in mind. Are you ready for the debtor to declare BK once you start attaching assets? Are you ready to return any assets seized in the past 90 days as required by Federal BK Law? Are you ready to share anything that is available in the estate with all the other creditors (and I am sure there are other creditors)? Finally, are you ready to see your judgment turn into outhouse paper with legalize on it without collecting a cent for all your trouble? If you look around this board, you will see that this is the recommended advice quite a bit once someone like your debtor ends up in the situation they are in.

Simply put, regardless of whether the OP has been screwed over or not, no one has the right to break the law simply to right the wrong. 2 wrongs do not make a right.

Firstly, I disagree with your assertion that I am not allowed to have the debtor's SSN. The court form I need to fill out specifically asks for the last 4 digits of the debtor's SSN as seen in the link below.

http://www.findforms.com/single_form.php/form/8472/Request_Writ_Notice_for_Garnishment_of_Property_Other_Than_Wages_Court_Forms_State_Maryland

I didn't misrepresent myself or my intentions in order to obtain the SSN and thus I don't believe I have broken any laws. You mention the fact that I have to follow a process....yes I am aware and I am following that process. If the court didn't ask me to put the SSN on the form, I would have had no need to have it looked up. What is so difficult to understand about that?

Regarding my judgment, it IS 100% verifiable and is readily available online with no special access to anyone who had just basic information about this case (as in, just my name or the debtor's name). Now, I am not going to divulge that info HERE in the open forum for privacy reasons, but the person who accessed the SSN had all the info they needed to verify my judgment. I'm not sure what you mean by "I see some issues such as being able to correct the information. " The judgment is readily available in public databases. I have no way of changing any of the info on it.

Regarding someone hacking into here and accessing the PMs, yes, that is theoretically possible but that goes for ANYthing you do on the computer. Unless we're willing to do without the amazing technological advances we've made over the last several decades, ALL of your personal information is ALREADY being transmitted electronically, apart from and regardless of anything this is or isn't discussed at this forum, whether in public or via PM. So again, I fail to see your point.

Regarding me wanting revenge, I've already addressed that so you can refer to my previous comments to get my opinion on that.

Regarding a BK filing and me needing to share with the other creditors, this person already filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy 2 years ago. So, all their major debts would have been wiped out and if I'm not mistaken, they won't be able to file again for at least another 5 years from now. So once again, I fail to see your point.

Guest usctrojanalum

Okay going to put this issue to bed now.

I am the one who gave him the SSN. I am approved for such access to Accurint which is apart of the Lexis Nexis databases because I serve process. Under the GLBA one is permitted to access the information contained in this database under a whole bunch of different conditions but the two conditions that apply to me are

1) For use by persons holding a legal or beneficial interest relating to the consumer

and

2) Use in connection with a civil, criminal, administrative, or arbitral proceeding, including the service of process, investigation in anticipation of litigation, the execution or enforcement of judgments, or compliance with the orders of any court.

If you do not like how the GLBA and the DPPA are written, I suggest you contact the necessary politicians and voice your displeasures and have it changed.

Skip tracing is apart of serving process and I make additional money from skip tracing (I did not make money in this instance, I was just helping OP out.)

I verified that there was in fact a duly entered judgment, with the OP as the creditor and the judgment debtor as the debtor. All of the information that I was given to locate the SSN is a public record that I could have all found on my own if I really wanted to waste the man hours searching for it. No laws were broken, I was just acting as an agent for the OP getting him information he could have obtained by himself but it was easier for me to obtain.

My guess is that they don't even ask about how I obtained the SSN, but I guess we will see.
They would never ask. It isn't even relevant to the writ you are seeking. Good luck. I hope you get something out of it.

One more thing- I was on the phone with the DMV yesterday in my state. If you provide them with a VIN, they will provide you with the owner's full name, address, and list of lienholders (it costs $5). Maybe your state does the same. I forget at this point if this debtor has a vehicle, but if you are seeking to pop their vehicle, you may want to do this first to see if TBE property exceptions apply or if there are already sufficient encumbrances on the vehicle that would not make it worthwhile to levy.

Good luck with the cat and mouse game!

USC, The issues aren't gonna be put to bed because Gandolf isn't gonna allow it. No telling where this situation will end. Hope you'll be OK. But then again I guess that's what you high earning process servers get paid for.

I don't think you have even the slightest clue what you are talking about.

They would never ask. It isn't even relevant to the writ you are seeking. Good luck. I hope you get something out of it.

One more thing- I was on the phone with the DMV yesterday in my state. If you provide them with a VIN, they will provide you with the owner's full name, address, and list of lienholders (it costs $5). Maybe your state does the same. I forget at this point if this debtor has a vehicle, but if you are seeking to pop their vehicle, you may want to do this first to see if TBE property exceptions apply or if there are already sufficient encumbrances on the vehicle that would not make it worthwhile to levy.

Good luck with the cat and mouse game!

Yes, he does have a pretty decent vehicle that I believe he paid cash for. That will definitely be my next option if the bank levy doesn't yield enough to satisfy my judgment. Thanks for the tip. This fool can RUN but he can't HIDE!