Wrong debt validation info

duchessp

I requested debt validation from MetaBank/Fingerhut Credit; I just received a response stating "Our records indicate your account was opened when you placed your order onlin, therefor the application process was processed online. Enclosed is a statement of your account activity."

Two questions about this. First, the account activity print-out they sent me isn't even mine or anyone I even know.

Second, is that enough validation to make this account validated?

I'm not sure what to do since the print-out/account activity that they sent me isn't mine.

Thanks in advance.

What you should do is send them the following in a letter:

"I have received your documentation. I do not recognize any of the charges and I hereby dispute this alleged debt in its entirety."

Just remove the quotes above and send to them.

Of course, they will most likely will try to continue collection. But since you are smart, you will have sent the letter CMRRR where the tracking number is also contained in the letter.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Late update 3 months down the road now xhitwallx

I sent the letter, registered mail, disputing that it was my account, using the suggestions I received here.

They responded to me with the same letter they sent the first time, but this time with a 'correct' printout with my name on it.

They didn't acknowledge that I had sent them anything at all as a follow up.

So, anything else I can do here? This is a weird situation, just not sure if I have any alternatives since they screwed up the first time.

Wait...Did they send the correct printout, or correct the previous printout to reflect your name?

If the first, I would inform them (quite politely) that they do not have their ducks in a row and need to provide you with better information.

If the latter, send them back copies of both and tell them to FOAD.

Good Day,

The important thing is that you did send them debt validation. If you don't mind me asking, how long ago did you actually open the account?

I would check the Statute of Limitations on Debt for your state first. Then you will have a better idea of how to proceed.

If you can tell me the Statute for your state and when this account was opened, I can direct you in which way to go.

Jeremy Hudson

H & I Credit Solutions

If I were in your situation, I would now:

1. Send back another letter, in the same format as the previous one, stating that "I am in receipt of your newest validation and hereby still dispute your letter."

2. Keep both DV's for future use. Two bills that have have two different names is a clear violation of the FDCPA.

3. Check all of your credit reports for any entries from them. Are they on any of them? If so, then they have violated the FCRA for inaccurate reporting. The first bill has a different name, yet they have decided to report it to your files.

Keep an accurate record of what they send you. Getting their records corrected may take you a while, but if you can get them to violate your rights under the FDCPA and FCRA, you may be able to get them to delete the debt as well as make them pay YOU for their mistake.