Heeeelp, again please.

donqII

I can read writing, And I can write reading but I do not understand this.

Does this mean that Defendant cannot do separate discovery beyound

answering the complaint.

Does this mean that Defendant needs to do discovert before getting discovery from the Plaintiff.

This is from NEW JERSEY rules of civil procedure.4:17-2. Time to Serve Interrogatories

4:17-2

Interrogatories may, without leave of court, be served upon the plaintiff or answers demanded pursuant to R. 4:17-1(B) after commencement of the action and served upon or demanded from any other party with or after service of the summons and complaint upon that party. Except as provided in R. 4:17-1(B)(2), initial interrogatories shall be served by plaintiff as to each defendant within 40 days after service of that defendant's answer and each defendant shall serve initial interrogatories within said 40-day period.

Note: Source-R.R. 4:23-2(a)(B)©. Amended and last two sentences deleted July 14, 1972 to be effective September 5, 1972; amended July 13, 1994 to be effective September 1, 1994; amended July 5, 2000 to be effective September 5, 2000.

AND

4:17-1 (B)(2)

(2) Automatic Service of Uniform Interrogatories. A party defendant served with a complaint in an action subject to uniform interrogatories as prescribed by subparagraph b(1) of this rule shall be deemed to have been simultaneously served with such interrogatories. The defendant shall serve answers to the appropriate uniform interrogatories within 60 days after service by that defendant of the answer to the complaint. The plaintiff in such an action shall be deemed to have been served with uniform interrogatories simultaneously with service of defendant's answer to the complaint and shall serve answers to the interrogatories within 30 days after service of the answer to the complaint. In all actions commenced prior to September 5, 2000, however, answers to uniform interrogatories shall be demanded by letter of demand served upon all adverse parties within the time prescribed by R. 4:17-2, and answers shall be served within the time prescribed by R. 4:17-4(B).

To my understanding this means you can do discovery within 40 days after you answer your summons without asking court to permit discovery, same applies to Plaintiff.

Thanks, It was the sentence that seems consusing to me.

A party defendant served with a complaint in an action subject to uniform interrogatories as prescribed by subparagraph b(1) of this rule shall be deemed to have been simultaneously served with such interrogatories. The defendant shall serve answers to the appropriate uniform interrogatories within 60 days after service by that defendant of the answer to the complaint.

Basically Uniform Interrogatories is a form you can obtain for your state which already has a list of interrogatories for a specific case type. Non-Uniform Interrogatories, which is what is implied in the first case, is when you put the list of interrogatories you want to use yourself. I hope this helps