Received Summons from Capital One for $7000! PLease help me respond!

Hello and thank you for reading my post!

A very dear friend has been served a Summons for written response from the OC (Capital One USA) in Washington State.

The friend does own some assetts.

What approach should we take?

If anyone has a good plan both strategically and tactfully, it would be greatly appreciated! Please POST asap!

Hey I just noticed it says that "Plaintiff's attorneys are debt collecters. This is an attempt to collect a debt, and any information obtained will be used for that purpose."

So does that mean basically they are just using the summons to scare us instead of sending the usual dunning letter? That's what I am beginning to think.

Shal we simply DV this? We just have to file it according to the civil law or whatever?

I believe this is an actual lawsuit, even if it might not be stamped by the clerk. In WA Plaintiff can serve you with papers, you have to respond wihtin 20 days and demand that Plaintiff files suit within 14 days. Or they just file it and then serve you. Anyway, it has a disclosure because this law office probably specializes in debt collection, plus it is a suit for money owed. You need to answer the summons within a dead line. From my experience fighting an original creditor in court is not easy. You might want to consider arbitration approach. Are you familiar with it? Who is the attorney suing your friend?

I believe this is an actual lawsuit, even if it might not be stamped by the clerk. In WA Plaintiff can serve you with papers, you have to respond wihtin 20 days and demand that Plaintiff files suit within 14 days. Or they just file it and then serve you. Anyway, it has a disclosure because this law office probably specializes in debt collection, plus it is a suit for money owed. You need to answer the summons within a dead line. From my experience fighting an original creditor in court is not easy. You might want to consider arbitration approach. Are you familiar with it? Who is the attorney suing your friend?

Yes I see. I too was thinking about arbitration. Anyone get it to last to SOL yet?

I need to know how to request arbitration. Anyone can tell me how to file the response requesting arbitration in Wa?

The attorneys are Sutel and Hamer (Mispelled to stay low on the gsearch).

Yes you are correct it does say 20 days to respond; it's already been about 10 days or so so we need to hurry up a bit.

Please folks give me more input; who says yay or nay on Arbitration verse other strategies?

Thanks allot for your input; very helpful.