collection agencies reaging debts

jpmom3

Okay, another question from me tonight! (Thanks in advance everybody.:D) After reading information on this site, I decided to sit down and go over my credit reports with a fine-tooth comb. (Should have done that long ago, but better late than never). What I found was a lot of the same stuff sitting there, under different companies (the OC and several CAs) The most surprising was that when these accounts had been purchased by a collection agency, not only did the CA reage the debts, making it look like they were opened MUCH later than the date of last payment, but the amounts were nowhere near the same. In fact, with the HSBC card, there were different charge off amounts listed on my Experian and Equifax credit reports ($460 on one, $865 on the other), with date of last payment on both as 5/2007. Arrow Financial purchased the debt, changed the date opened to 1/2008, and the amount is now $1,145. There is also another collection agency charging me $635 for a Tribute MC that is NOWHERE on my credit report by itself, and I do not remember having it. Anyway, I have sent validation requests to all of the collection agencies, and disputes with the CRAs, now what? What if these companies respond with some bogus information? (From what I've read about Arrow, they will certainly try to) Any advice? I have received back the receipts for certified letters from all companies but Arrow so far, and Arrow is the company that has been attempting to obtain another judgment from me. Anyway, thanks for the advice. Sorry if this is rambling!

• 9 months later...

This is happening to me too. They move the "date opened" date forward a few years so that they have more time to bother you with collection calls, and it falls off years later. This must be illegal, but I have yet to find out more about his practice. I would say talk to the credit bureau.

The accounts are not being reaged. The "date opened" is when the CA or JDB received the account. It has no effect on the date the entry will fall off your credit reports. That is determined by the date of last payment or the date of default reported by the OC.

The accounts are not being reaged. The "date opened" is when the CA or JDB received the account. It has no effect on the date the entry will fall off your credit reports. That is determined by the date of last payment or the date of default reported by the OC.

What about when the OC reports the date of default as at least a year afterward? Isn't that reaging by the OC? How does one prove that?

Okay, another question from me tonight! (Thanks in advance everybody.:D) After reading information on this site, I decided to sit down and go over my credit reports with a fine-tooth comb. (Should have done that long ago, but better late than never). What I found was a lot of the same stuff sitting there, under different companies (the OC and several CAs) The most surprising was that when these accounts had been purchased by a collection agency, not only did the CA reage the debts, making it look like they were opened MUCH later than the date of last payment, but the amounts were nowhere near the same. In fact, with the HSBC card, there were different charge off amounts listed on my Experian and Equifax credit reports ($460 on one, $865 on the other), with date of last payment on both as 5/2007. Arrow Financial purchased the debt, changed the date opened to 1/2008, and the amount is now $1,145. There is also another collection agency charging me $635 for a Tribute MC that is NOWHERE on my credit report by itself, and I do not remember having it. Anyway, I have sent validation requests to all of the collection agencies, and disputes with the CRAs, now what? What if these companies respond with some bogus information? (From what I've read about Arrow, they will certainly try to) Any advice? I have received back the receipts for certified letters from all companies but Arrow so far, and Arrow is the company that has been attempting to obtain another judgment from me. Anyway, thanks for the advice. Sorry if this is rambling!

Arrow bought an account from an old CC my wife had.They doubled the price on it.I sent them a DV letter 2 weeks ago.I did get the CRRR back about a week later from them.It was sighned & stamped by by a person from Arrow.I never got a DV letter from them.Well to my surprise it was deleted off all 3 of the CRAs a few days ago.So hang in there maybe they will just go away from you aswell!