Letter from Lawyer

sasha

I just received a letter from a law firm stating that they attempted to reach me with no success and that I should call to discuss the above matter which is a cc debt of 8k that they say I owe.

It goes on to quote the usual...I am a debt collector......

Should I call or throw it away. I was told that they want you to call to admit that it's your debt in order to commence a lawsuit. is that true?

If I ignore it should I just expect to get served a summons judgement letter in the near future?

I live in NY.

Thank you

Its only a year or so old and they are representing BOA.

Check to see if the law firm is licensed in your state. Then inquire with the law firm and request proof that they have indeed been formerly retained by BOA.

In tenn a law firm/ca is required to show proof of a properly executed AND SIGNED retainer document (SIGNED BY BOTH THE LAW FIRM AND PLAINTIFF)

Was the letter YOU RECEIVED signed by anyone at the law office ? If not, ask them to disclose who at the law office had conducted a ''meaningful review" of the alleged debt prior to sending the letter to you. My argument has always been " no signature...no meaningful review", and therefore indicates possible violation of TITLE 18 CHAPTER 63...mail fraud....while attempting to collect a debt ( google this law for a more thorough definition.)

...and let's not forget TO REMIND THE LAW FIRM THAT THEY ARE SUBJECT TO THE "ATTORNEY ACCOUNTABILITY ACT OF 1995"

As stated, they don't need a call from you to start a lawsuit...but they hope you will call so they can try to make you admit that it is your debt, or if you agree to a settlement by phone, rest assured all calls are recorded...and you might incriminate yourself...SO DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT CALLING...just send them a letter by certified mail.

Edited by Prosay
change