shiroinu

HUGE problem with Experian!!

We are in the process of buying a house..

There is a Judgement on the Experian credit report from 2004.. This has been disputed 3 times 2006,2007,2008.. all three times it came back verified. It never really made a huge difference but now it's causing a problem with our home loan. This info is not on any other credit report except Experian. I contact the court where the Judgement was from. Basically they said they have a docket number attached to the name. No social number, no other info other then my name and the docket info..Not even a middle initial..

I called back Experian gave them the number and name to talk to the lady at the court. When the Experian person came back she said that she verified it by my name..

I asked if I could go on three-way since I had just talked to the court and they said they couldnt verify anything only a name and docket number...

Experian said no and that I would have to wait the full 30days for this to go through the dispute process..

What do I do?? How can they say they verified it if the courts them self have NO info on this. They don't even have the amount it is supposed to be for...

How do I get this taken care of ASAP this is going to screw up my home loan if I don't get this taken care of right away..

This is causing a huge amount of stress.. I don't see how Experian can say it's verified when the courts can not..

I would contact a consumer attorney. Perhaps he could find out what's going with the court, and send Experian a nice letter.

I have the same issue and what I have found out is:

The Judgments are reported by a third party in most cases. Courts usually do not do the reporting. LexisNexis is a big supplier of this info. They go to the courthouse scouring for information and then resell it to the CRAs.

In a lot of cases, and this might be your case, there is not actual "judgment" meaning papers may have been filed with the court but there is no judgment on record or it was canceled by the person filing it etc etc..

You need to find out how to get a certified copy of the case file.

Scan it for accuracy make sure a judgment was the actual outcome

Send a letter to the court asking how they verify judgment information with the CRAs. I always send a SASE when requesting info from the court system.

For example, the courthouse where my judgment is recorded only verifies credit report information if you send them a SASE, money order for $3 and a copy of the credit report.

Clearly when the judgment came back as verified, I sent a PR letter asking who they spoke with etc. My courthouse also keeps records of anytime someone requests the file. I let the CRA know that I have a letter from the court stating they do not verify judgments over the phone and the fact that the letter states the procedures for verifying.

Removed.

Whether sending a LexisNexis monkey to the courthouse to scan public records would be considered true verification is the point here. CRAs are not going to admit to this if it is going on but it happens.

Fact is that the CRA didn't verify anything.

On one case, I called them on it after they came back to me with "verified" by replying to them if they actually did verify it then they would know that it has been satisfied as recorded in the case file but what they were reporting was not correct.

Precisely the reason I DO NOT give any reason when I dispute things like this.

Sad to find you have judgments that you knew nothing about isn't it? I never got any notice, never served, nada. I can't do anything about it because the state does not require proof of being served. Saying they mailed it to you stands.

Most importantly do not lie to your mortgage officer. If the judgment is really yours and really is a judgment don't try and get around that merely by getting it off your report because that could bite you. In most states they can be renewed and you really want to avoid that because it will create a new SOL.

Judgments don't hurt your FICO much unless they are within the past 2 years.

This is interesting. I did an 'online' dispute with Experian regarding a Judgment on my CR from last year. I disputed it as "satisfied". The very NEXT day the Judgment had been deleted from my Experian CR. And a week later it was deleted from Equifax. I'm still waiting on TransUnion. I think they've been on X-Mas vacation ALL month.

I wish Experian was being as easy with me.:(

Mine are all satisfied but they aren't being updated OR being removed.

This is interesting. I did an 'online' dispute with Experian regarding a Judgment on my CR from last year. I disputed it as "satisfied". The very NEXT day the Judgment had been deleted from my Experian CR. And a week later it was deleted from Equifax. I'm still waiting on TransUnion. I think they've been on X-Mas vacation ALL month.

Didn't work for me. The judgment is satisfied, but they will not delete.

This is what has worked with people I work with. If there is a judgment on file in the courthouse/ a credit report, and it was satisfied,the person that was paid has to file a satisfaction piece at the court house. You'd have to go back to whomever you paid and get them to put it in writing on their letterhead. People have then taken it to the courthouse and they in turn will give you a satisfaction piece. You can then dispute this with whichever CB that is reporting the judgment attaching the satisfaction piece.

Hope this helps.

When they say they verified it by name....I would have said,"OK, so if this judgment was for John Smith and my name is John Smith...it is automatically MINE?!?!? *or* do you think there is more than ONE JOHN SMITH in the country?!?!?!"

"This is INSUFFICIENT and therefore I expect it deleted by morning."

Then let them respond.

I have resorted to ITS's. It DOES work and it also gets you put in Special Handling for a few years.