private arbitration oregon

cianciow

i've got about 7 days to get this done, so any quick help would be immensely appreciated.

trying to type out a "petition to compel private arbitration" long story short--being sued by cap1 in oregon, it's going into arbitration, but i guess court-mandated arbitration is what happens in the state of oregon.

i want JAMS...but i was told i need to file a petition to compel private arbitration in order to do this.

i've read through the petition section in ORS 36.600, i get it, but i'm still at a complete loss on how to word my petition.

not sure if anyone has some guiding words they could offer/advice/ a sample of what i'm trying to do here. all the legal jargon is making my head spin.

i don't have an attorney obviously (no job) :-/

please help....

• 3 weeks later...

State mandated "arbitration" is different in every county. I lucked out and got a really great arbitrator and she sided with me, and also the plaintiff did not show up. But this is not arbitration as you read on these boards. This is a "court appearance" in Oregon terms. Meaning that you sit down in with the plaintiff and the arbitrator and he/she hears your case. They should have done their homework and read case law and they then rule on what is presented to them. I do not know for sure if you can file with JAMS in Oregon. I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just saying that I don't know for sure if you can. I have never talked to anyone who has done it in Oregon. Usually after the state mandated (or Alternative Dispute Resolution as it is called in Oregon) has completed, then you can appeal if you have lost, but make sure you read up on your County laws and make sure you have your ducks in a row before you try to yell "ARBITRATION" if the state and county do not allow it.

Just my opinion.