andres99pony

EX insists my name is Antonio

Hello everyone. Long time member, haven't been around in a while. I've been busy with the new house and new car! I owe it all to the knowledge I gained on these very forums.

I have a little issue though. EX will not remove a name of "Antonio" which is similar to my name "Andres". Apparently, a person named ANTONIO owes Fingerhut some money and that keep coming after me. I am sick and tired of it. I received something at my new home address for this ANTONIO. I have wrote, called, etc., and they will not remove. I think I need to send an ITS letter. Can anyone help me out?

The CRA will not willingly remove information on your credit file if that information came from a data furnisher who is still reporting under you. Any update needs to come from the data furnisher who provided it. There are ways to force their hand as has been explained ad nauseum on this forum, but the general rule is that they won't make any updates at your request unless the update you're requesting is to remove/correct information that was reported by a furnisher who is no longer on your file.....

Having said that, did/does one of your creditors have your name mistakenly as Antonio? Or, is there a credit inquiry on your reports dated within the last 2 years from a company that might have inadvertently listed your name as Antonio?

none of my current creditors have me down as "Antonio". I dont have inquiries with that name. But this name has followed me through two address changes, and the name appears in the credit report section under "names".

none of my current creditors have me down as "Antonio". I dont have inquiries with that name. But this name has followed me through two address changes, and the name appears in the credit report section under "names".

If the CRA hasn't removed it and you've already sent a copy of your driver license and an explanation, then I'm about 99% certain that's because it was reported by a furnisher still showing up on your credit file. It's not necessarily that any of your current creditors have you as Antonio; it's that they may have had you as Antonio at one point, perhaps long ago and perhaps this was corrected by them immediately and you had no knowledge of it...

-----------

As a practical solution, I might try doing the following:

1. Calling any one of the 3 CRA and placing a temporary fraud alert. Whichever one you call will notify the other 2.
  2. Waiting for confirmation of the fraud alert to come by mail.
  3. Writing to the address for correspondence that comes on the fraud alert confirmation and stating something to the effect, "My name is not Antonio and I believe I may be a victim of ID Theft. PLEASE REMOVE THIS NAME FROM MY REPORT!" Note: the address listed on the fraud alert confirmation is routed to a different facility and will be handled by a person with some discretion.
    ID Theft is always a hot-button and a wrong name is borderline enough that it might do the trick, especially if you have a fraud alert on file.