Ravenous Wolf

A Mountain Bike...

Okay, I got myself a mountain bike for Christmas.

But back in the Dark Ages when I was a kid, all you needed was just for your feet to turn the pedals. However, I imagine that a lot of stuff is needed just to ride a bike, like helmet, etc.

So what is the cheapest way to go to get all the accessories (and what are). I also realized that I do not have enough space in the back of my SUV to put the bike back there so what is the best thing to buy to attach to the end of my vehicle.

You can get a bike rack that either mounts around your spare tire (like a jeep wrangler) or one that mounts to the frame trailer hitch - when you pull the hitch you've got that square thing... That's where it mounts. Not cheap but they work well.

You also might to want to start watching "The Smoking Gun" on Tru TV for some good ideas about what you can do with your mountain bike. I particularly like the one where the guy slips off the trail and bounces like 100 feet to the canyon floor.

And...make sure your health insurance doesn't have a "we don't pay for putting yourself in peril" clause...

:backpedal::trainwreck::ROFLMAO2:

:backpedal:

How is the mountain bike working out? I am committed to either repairing my 11 year old bike or buying a new one. It is the best way to get in shape. Challenging but a total workout. Back in college I used to mountain bike in the rugby off season to keep in decent shape. I can't think of many activities where you get such a workout without realizing it.

Schwinn Air Dyne in front of the TV....with a cup holder for the beer. I dropped 100 pounds over 9 months, and only fell off twice...onto the nice soft carpet.

I get some great deals from http://www.jensonusa.com/

Also, check/google Performance Bike to see if there is one near where you are. They are the wally world of bike stores, but they run great sales all the time! (and during 12-2 every Tuesday, you can get an additional 10% off!)

What ever you do, be sure to wear a helmet. That is a no-brainer. :shock:

Wear shorts, you will never ride with out padded shorts once you do and get some spd shoes and spd pedals... you will think tennis shoes are wrong for a bike once you try this.

I would love a mountain bike soon. I've been road biking for a number of years now, and nothing beats the endorphin high after climbing a mountain or riding a full on century bike ride.

Ride Strong, Ride Safe

Also, for the transporting the bike, I'd go with a trailer hitch and rack. More secure and stable over the strap on carriers. Several great online retailers.. just google THULE or YAKIMA and you'll find the online retailers. Some great deals on receiver hitches as well via e-trailer.

:backpedal:

How is the mountain bike working out? I am committed to either repairing my 11 year old bike or buying a new one. It is the best way to get in shape. Challenging but a total workout. Back in college I used to mountain bike in the rugby off season to keep in decent shape. I can't think of many activities where you get such a workout without realizing it.

Just mho, if your bike is 11 years old... I'd take it in to get fit or just get a whole new bike. Lots has changed and you still may find some 2010 models in your local bike shop on clearance now that the 2011's are in stock.

And to anyone riding a bike or thinking about riding a bike, mountain or road - GET A BIKE FIT at your local bike shop. Cycling will be amazing once you do and you won't risk any permanent long-term damage to your knees, hands, shoulders, etc from improperly fitted bike. It's amazing what a few degrees turn of the handlebars and a few mm drop in the seat post can do.

Will do. It is +60 degrees here today in Philly area and the prospect of outdoor activities again after this year's deep freeze is great!!!!

You know a lot about bikes emode.

Will do. It is +60 degrees here today in Philly area and the prospect of outdoor activities again after this year's deep freeze is great!!!!

You know a lot about bikes emode.

Ha ha! Thanks! I love the bike... and all it has done for me physically. The friends I have met while cycling are great, and the inner peace you find while on a long stretch of road or cycling up hills and mountains can't be described. In an ideal world, I'd park my car for good and ride the bike. This is not realistic in any way shape or form, but any time on the bike is a good time.

Ouch on that freeze you all had. Hope this cold spell is over with for the US. I'm in the Southwest and we have 360 days of riding days here. It's nice.

Ouch on that freeze you all had. Hope this cold spell is over with for the US. I'm in the Southwest and we have 360 days of riding days here. It's nice.
:notworthy: No harsh winters? Usually we deal with 30s and 40s and a touch of snow. These past two years the east coast dealt with multiple storms each dumping 12+" of snow and temperatures routinely in the 10s and 20s for daytime highs. Just brutal. Both on mind and wallet. Edited by jq26