BigJT

Experian refused request for method of verification

I recently disputed some information with Experian, and it came back verified. I then wrote them asking for the method of verification. Today, I got a letter in the mail saying that they couldn't honor my request because I, in their words, "did not provide sufficient identification information for us to verify your identity."

I'm having a hard time understanding why they would conduct an investigation after receiving the dispute I sent them, but then suddenly decide I might be some kind of impostor when I send a followup letter. Should I press them to delete the info on the basis that they failed to provide the mehtod of verification within 15 days, or should I play along and try to get them the identity information that claim to want?

did you mail the letter?

I always send certified mail with copies of two forms of ID.

If they want DNA tell them to take it off the envelope you licked.

I always send letters CMRRR. I didn't put in a copy of my ID in either letter. That's kind of why it's strange for them to only request it on my second contact with them.

well, Experian has a habit of adding a FRAUD alert to some people's credit reports when items are disputed so that could be the case. I have heard this happening to several people on several forums. As they told me, if I disputed "not mine" they HAD to add the fraud alert which I later found is BS.

If they put a fraud alert on your file, you will have to use ID to do anything.

I would call them and ask what the deal is.

Did you dispute items claiming they aren't yours?

well, Experian has a habit of adding a FRAUD alert to some people's credit reports when items are disputed so that could be the case. I have heard this happening to several people on several forums. As they told me, if I disputed "not mine" they HAD to add the fraud alert which I later found is BS.

If they put a fraud alert on your file, you will have to use ID to do anything.

I would call them and ask what the deal is.

Did you dispute items claiming they aren't yours?

Yes, that must be the explanation. I guess I'll give them a call. Thanks for the info.

You also have to have the fraud alert removed via mail and you can get the form on the website and it tells you what forms of ID you can use. For the other 2 CRAs, just send a letter and use the same forms of ID.

Be firm with them stating you never asked for a fraud alert and that it is causing you problems, remove it within x days.

Of course, keep copies and make sure to follow up.