thegame26

Steps in getting a book/novel published

So I’ve decided to try and get a novel published. I have been writing on and off for years mostly for fun, now I’d like to try and do something with it. The age range I am targeting is approximately 10-12. The style of novel I plan on doing (am doing) is similar to that of Matt Christopher. What I am looking for is the steps involved.

1. I know publishers do not generally accept unsolicited manuscripts and I have to go through a literary agent. Where can I find a listing of literary agents and possible ratings?

2. Would it be beneficial to send my material to editors or would they charge too much? Would I be better off having friends and family try to catch errors?

3. If I get published, (I realize this is a giant if) what is a realistic dollar figure I can expect?

4. Anything I am overlooking or need to know?

I've also seen a website lulu.com that allows you to self publish for $100. They will give you an ISBN # and you don't have to go through an agent. Anyone know their reputation/legitmatcy?

Self publishing...is a waste of money. $100 won't buy you printing and the big guys (Vanity Press) who do print 2000 copies, charge much more.

You don't need an agent. Most publishers do have an "unsolicted" desk, call and find out.

For my two books (technical, computer books), I sent a proposal to Tab Books...and got an advance before I started writing. As I understand it, that's unusual for fiction, unless you're already published, or well known for some other reason.

Self publishing...is a waste of money. $100 Most publishers do have an "unsolicted" desk, call and find out.QUOTE]

does calling make a difference? so far i've just been going to publisher's websites and everyone so far has said that they don't accept unsoloicted manusripts.

Do it the way they do in hollywood... Find a publisher then sleep with them. The publicity generated will surely boost your career :)

I'm being facetious of course :)

So I’ve decided to try and get a novel published. I've also seen a website lulu.com that allows you to self publish for $100. They will give you an ISBN # and you don't have to go through an agent. Anyone know their reputation/legitmatcy?

http://www.artbookbindery.com/ChildrensBooksComplete.htm

If I recall correctly, one of the most successful books in history (still selling), "How to Be Your Own Best Friend", was self-published.

You can get an ISBN without Lulu. Bowker has exclusive rights in the US to assign ISBN's. I tried to post the link, but I am not allowed to do so. Look up "Bowker" and visit their site. The cost is the same.

As far as Lulu goes, they will print books "on demand." I have a book published through Lulu, but I also have a web site and a broadcast on which the book is promoted. The cost is more than if you were to purchase a thousand up front, but you don't have to keep an inventory.

Research on the internet how to promote your book, and follow the steps. It does take a bit of sweat, but over time, you can do quite well if you are persistent in your efforts.

To your success!

Edited by Partis_Iuguolo
Typo

POD-Publish On Demand- is probably the best way to go as it is relatively low cost, you hold no inventory, and many POD firms will list your book on sites like amazon (dot) com. You will most likely make less $ per unit sold, but consider it as an advertising cost: ie readers don't know you yet so it's not a bad strategy to get started and in a way it's passive income.

Some POD firms include: Action Tales, Aventine Press, Biblio Books, Book Locker, Cork Hill Press, Infinity Publishing, iUniverse, Llumina Press, Lulu, Page Free Publishing. VirtualBookWorm, Xlibris, Xulon Press.

Most of these publishers will give you an initial number of printed books based on the package you buy, from 2 to 10 copies.

Beyond these publishers, you should market your book on your own website even if it's a one page site (Blogger/Wordpress are free). Identify who are the likely readers of your book and market to them, Here are some ways:

Local Market (at least to get some hype going from the start):

Create a 'Meetup' book signing. Talk to your local coffee/tea shop and tell them you're bringing a small group of people for a book signing. The point here is not the people that attend the event but rather getting all your book's information on the meetup (dot) com site as they have excellent SEO.

Create a 'book signing' event through eventbrite, for the reason above.

Create Press Releases and post them free wherever you can.

Of course, create social media profiles-including google places if you can use some kind of street address somewhere (virtual office/address which can be in any city you want but there's a $30 to $75 monthly cost to it). google is a lot more effective than other sites.

Send a copy to your local newspaper editor (even if it's just a print out of your manuscript AFTER you fully registered your creation).

I personally am thinking of using aventine press for its high royalties and low cost package. This is after I fix all the credit nightmare I'm dealing with!!!!!

My book is on innovation.

I've self published 3 local history books, adibooks.com was reasonable but its a pain keeping inventory and doing all the marketing, I can sell 500 books by myself but can't seem to break that ceiling on my own, it is a niche market though.

I did my own pre press and prepared a print ready file, its not that hard, the first 3 will go on Lulu when I get a chance. The 4th was printed by a publisher, they pay about 99 cents royalty per book, its not a lot but no troubles no worry no expense

Dave, if you want to go the traditional route, get a copy of a writers' magazine at the bookstore. In some of these, and there are a few available, they have lists of publishers and agents and the type of work they do, and how to submit to them.

If you have a marketable idea, submitting in draft form, unedited, is alright. A good children's book is always wanted. Go for it, and best of luck.