thebone

Issue with Federal Tax Lien

I currently have 2 federal tax liens on all three CRA’s. I tried to rent an apartment and had everything come to a complete stop when they ran my CR. I contacted the IRS with the attempt the attempt to make some type of payment arrangements to have this lien removed. But to my huge surprise the guy I talked to told me that the SOL has passed and the proceeded to remove both entries. I about fell out of my chair as I have never in my life had such a friendly and satisfactory outcome. Now for my problem, all 3 CRA still have the lien showing up on my CR. I do have a Lien Released document from the IRS. How do I go about having these items removed from my CR.

They were from the tax years in-between 1988 and 1997, The state wasn't an issue because they never asked when I was talking with him. As for the SOL, Under IRC 65.02 (a) The IRS has ten years from the assessment date to collect the tax by administrative means or file suit. Now any payment arrangements will reset the SOF from the date you stop paying. Now I’m not a lawyer and this is my understanding after reading lots of web sites on the issue. Both of these liens we unpaid, with all the interest and penalties I would have been paying until the day I die. I hope that helps.

I still need some help with this issue, I really need to get this off my report and not sure which method I need to use.

Thank you

Dave

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=236540,00.html

You need to ask the IRS to WITHDRAW the lien. If they "release" it, then the CRAs delete 7 yrs from that date. The law says 7 yrs from date of payment...so they use the release date as date of payment.

Unpaid liens can stay forever.

Once the IRS *withdraws* the lien, then you can dispute it with the CRAs.