over600

Enhanced Recovery Company, LLC

I have received mail communications from them noting that I owed around $1300 and that they wanted to settle it from anywhere betweeen $450 to $600. It is for an old HSBC card that I had paid off three years ago (or so I thought I did). But my credit report showed a balance of 290 dollars and showed it was sold and account was closed back in 2008. So here comes this other company who started contacting me via mail over a year ago. Each time they contact me, the settlement amount goes down some more.

The kicker here is that they do not appear anywhere on my credit reports. This year is the first time in my life my score has been over 600 since college and I plan on keeping it that way. I do not want this collections to hit my credit report. So my question is, how do I know if it will or not, and should I go ahead and pay it. Unfortunately, I do not have proof that I paid HSBC (bad record keeping habits back then).

What should I do?

Send them a DVL. (Keep an eye out for any and all violations.) http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml

If they can validate the alleged debt....

"Get your terms in writing before you even consider making a payment." http://www.creditinfocenter.com/debt/settle_debts.shtml

Edited by Fairy Enchantress

I sent them cease and desist letter a couple weeks ago.. I haven't heard from them since.

You shouldn't. A C&D means "shut up and go away". A C&D does not stop them from suing you so keep an eye on the Court dockets.

Enchanced Recovery is also sending me letters from an old Norstrom Visa Card.

I called the OC and they told me that even though ER is not reporting it as a CA debt, go ahead and work with them because Nordstrom had 'exhausted' their efforts with me and they will notify Nordstrom if any payments or pay off etc. (ookkay)

However, Nordstrom is showing charged off. at this point for me I am writiing a DV/PTD letter and see what happens.

Good luck in this