MCM, are they serious?

getting_ahead2

I went ahead and did my 1st round of disputes online with the CRA's about a week ago.While waiting for a response, I got a letter in the mail from MCM regarding my disputed claim.

and it read as follows:

Dear Me,

This purpose of this letter is to request your assitance so that we may reach a quick resolution to your dispute.

As part of our investigation of your dispute, it would be helpful to have a copy of any documentation you may have that supports your dispute. In the interium, we have requested that the three major consumer credit reporting agencies change to the status of this account to "DISPUTED"

Examples of documentation includes the following:

1. PIF or ACCT SETTLED: a copy of the front and back of payment instrument with copy of the settlement offer or statement showing the balance.

2. FRAD: a copy of the police report, FTC fraud affidavid or a notaized fraud affidavit.

3. BALANCE Discrepancy: copy of contract that states rates for timeframe of disputed service. copy of the bill that shows amount owed or rates, or more detailed explanation of the disputed charges.

4: death of the Consumer owing the debt....

Please mail any documentation you may have to support your claim.

*your credit report will not be updated if the federal reporting period has expired.

------

I sent a DV letter out this morning, I didn't think they would be requesting me to give them information as to why this shouldn't be mine, and I am stating show me where they believe it is.

round 1

I assume MCM has purchased the debt? What did you claim in your dispute?

If it were me, I would send a letter to MCM stating that since they are the ones who are reporting, it's up to them to prove they have the right to report. That includes proving they own the debt and proof of the amount (breakdown of the original amount and their added fees). If they cannot or will not provide the proof and still won't remove the TL, you'll have to be willing to fight.

Correct. it was purchased by MCM.

I stated online that the debt wasn't mine in the dispute.

The DV I sent was pretty much the standard one.

What the money you say I owe is for;

• Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe;

• Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you

say I owe;

• Identify the original creditor;

• Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account

My thing is prove that I owe what you say.

1. PIF or ACCT SETTLED: a copy of the front and back of payment instrument with copy of the settlement offer or statement showing the balance.

2. FRAD: a copy of the police report, FTC fraud affidavid or a notaized fraud affidavit.

3. BALANCE Discrepancy: copy of contract that states rates for timeframe of disputed service. copy of the bill that shows amount owed or rates, or more detailed explanation of the disputed charges.

4: death of the Consumer owing the debt....

------

I sent a DV letter out this morning, I didn't think they would be requesting me to give them information as to why this shouldn't be mine, and I am stating show me where they believe it is.

round 1

Well, they're not wrong here, even though the three options they listed are incomplete. What is it you are disputing? That the account in question is not yours at all? Fill out the FTC affidavit and send it to them.

I got to the point that any letter I got for a debt that I knew wasn't me, I had a police report filed and sent off copies to everyone involved. The way I see it, if a company is attempting to foist someone else's debt on me, that is fraud/identity theft.

Edited by jasen

It makes no matter what you are disputing or why. What they are asking you to do is to admit to them the debt in full or in part. What they are saying is that they have nothing other than your name and an amount.

I would simply ignore this letter. Under FDCPA and FCRA the burden of proof is on them to prove the TL is accurate, not on you to prove why it isn't.