KIND OF PEEVED CASE MANAGEMENT HEARING

Today I checked the court Calendar to be sure my case management hear was still tomorrow and it is. It lists the time as 9am but I am the last person on the list at 9am and then at 1:30pm a new group is on. Does this mean I have to sit around there for 3 1/2 hours til my name comes up at the end? Can I just go in a noon or something? Don't think my health is going to allow sitting there all day waiting. Can you ask for disability help? Why make everyone come at the same time to just sit around and wait for 3 or 4 hours??? My guess is they must have a lunch break at 12 or 1pm but that still makes for a good 4 hours of sitting which I can't do.

Also I never received any case management form from the other side. I have no idea where they stand or their plans. Isn't this against the rules since I was ordered to produce the form 2 weeks before trial and sent them a copy but I never received a thing? Why are these attorneys allowed to get away with not following rules but we have to??

Based on my experiance observing court for knowledge to apply my suit I can give you some insight. My insight might be limited though as civil dockets in my local courthouse usually don't exceed more than 15 a day and sometimes those are evictions from the same apartment complex.

I guess it can differ from court to court and judge to judge but many times defendants who have lawyers present get to go first. I know criminal court (which I had the chance to observe as a criminal docket bled into the civil docket I went to observe) go alphabetically by name. My local court handles the estates first as well.

Just because you are at the end of the docket doesn't necessarily mean you will be last, so you might be called before you imagine. Also many of the cases on the docket may have be continued to another date by the parties involved and the file will be called and that will then be noted and they will move on to the next as no one will be there. I am not sure what the docket looks like, but if the cases are JDB cases, many will probably be defaults which don't take very long to go through.

I suppose you could request the court to move your hearing up, not sure how you would go about doing that but it would probably be good to get their early and speak to the clerk in the courtroom and ask to have it moved up, maybe others could advise. The sitting around is just another symptom of the problem and of a system that doesn't care how long you are put through the wringer, you might have the same amount of disgust as I do for it from how things sound. I would hate to think of your health suffering during the wait or even worse, of you not being able to stay for your hearing. If you need to step out of the courtroom for a period of time, just make sure court personnel is notified.

Is there anyone that can go along with you who might be able to inform the court if you have to step out??

As far as them not complying with court rules, I too feel for you there the idiots suing me took two months to anwser discovery and even then didn't do much of anything except claim they were still looking for evidence. All I can advise is that you make sure you bring it up in court, what they have failed to do.

Thank you. I was shocked to see how the docket looked today. There are at least 30 cases ahead of me, maybe more. They are all at 9am. All of them. Then there are like 30 mor 40 more cases at 1:30. It doesn't tell you anything about a lunch hour but I am sure the judge must get one. My name is the 2nd to the last case and all the cases are collections of one sort or another. I assume I will be stuck there til close to 1:30. I don't know why they don't divide the cases up by hour at least, not by 4 and a half hours! thats ridiculous to make someone sit in there all day. I am going to inform them when I get there that I can't sit there that long and ask for accomodations for my disability. I should have looked at this last week and called them but now I am sure its too late and I definitely don't want a default judgment against me so I have to survive somehow but I never heard of trying to pack in 30 or 40 cases all at once and you just have to wait your turn for all that time. I hope the clerk will do something about this. I plan to get there a little early. I assume they go in the order you are listed on the docket which is a bummer. Why couldn't I just go in at 11 or 12 at least?

If they are all collections cases I can almost assure you that you won't be waiting too long even if you are called toward the end of the list. Unforchanatly most of the people won't even show up to contest it and the default will be a matter of a minute or so per case. Does the docket say "court trial" with many cases, only then would that mean that the defendant will probably be there and it will be a longer amount of time as a trial will be held. Motions take less time, and if they are mostly labeled as motions, they are probably MSJ on the defendant for not anwsering the summons (i.e. default).

Not sure what is typical in your local court but I highly doubt you will wait that long. I know my local court has criminal dockets that are in the hundreds sometimes and they have bled into civil dockets I have showed up for, meaning some sat there from 9am to 1pm, not sure if they had a recess or not, probably not, but most people show up for those.

Remember 90% of the cases involving JDB's are defaults, and from what I have observed it probably is more than that, you will probably be surprised to see the courtroom much emptier than you expect.

No trials tomorrow. They are held a different day. In my case there are 26 cases at 8:30am and they are all 'why this case should not be dismissed' hearings. I never heard of that before. Trying to find out exactly what that is.

And then at 9am there are like 30 case management hearings like mine. And at 1:30pm and are more hearings.