HELP

wrongfully accused

I've been looking for an apartment but have been denied twice due to eviction filings on my landlord-tenant record that I had no idea about. I may have been late paying rent a couple times the whole 3 years I stayed there. When I moved out I received my full deposit back and I never had to pay any court fees. Nothing regarding any evictions are on my credit report. What can I do?

Find out what resource the landlords are using to check your rental history.

I know Experian is now reporting your rental payments if your landlord participates with their service. Look at this link to read about it: http://www.experian.com/rentbureau/rental-history.html

Most landlord's subscribe to a rental history service to check out your record when you make application. If you have evictions, then that would be a public record. Check the public records section under your name in the county in which you reside (or where the rentals were when you lived there).

If there is a public record and it is not "you" but someone with the same or similar name, you may have to get a letter from each of the landlords that are showing a prior eviction. You will then have to disclose when you make application that there is someone else with your same name so the landlord does not assume it is you. Make sure to pull the public record information so you can show the potential landlord that is is not you in advance.