Removing a Civil Judgment from my Credit Report

mathew6577

I have made an agreement with the plantiff to pay and delete my civil judgement. This agreement was signed 3 months ago and the item still remains on my report. I recently sent letters to the three credit reporting agencies and they are only marking the Judgement as Satisfied and are not removing it from my report. Can you please help me identify the best way to get this deleted?

I have made an agreement with the plantiff to pay and delete my civil judgement. This agreement was signed 3 months ago and the item still remains on my report. I recently sent letters to the three credit reporting agencies and they are only marking the Judgement as Satisfied and are not removing it from my report. Can you please help me identify the best way to get this deleted?

If it were me, I'd send a copy of the agreement to the Plaintiff. Simply remind them of the terms of the agreement. On your CR, note the date they tend to report. If on the next reporting date, the TL is not removed, and they report again, I'd contact a consumer attorney.

Guest usctrojanalum

Bingo, the only way a plaintiff can control removing a judgment is by agreeing to vacate the judgment. If the judgment is already satisfied, it is probably too late to vacate it.

Bingo, the only way a plaintiff can control removing a judgment is by agreeing to vacate the judgment. If the judgment is already satisfied, it is probably too late to vacate it.

That depends on State Law. In many States - like Florida - the satisfaction of a Judgment is actually a reason to file a motion to vacate.

Since the OP has an agreement with the plaintiff, the OP should contact said plaintiff and demand the judgment to be vacated. The plaintiff can always vacate the judgment.

Guest usctrojanalum
That depends on State Law. In many States - like Florida - the satisfaction of a Judgment is actually a reason to file a motion to vacate.

Since the OP has an agreement with the plaintiff, the OP should contact said plaintiff and demand the judgment to be vacated. The plaintiff can always vacate the judgment.

Oh, that's pretty good. In NY once a judgment is satisfied it absolutely cannot be vacated under any circumstances.

Oh, that's pretty good..

Yeah, that's not too bad. I found a link referring to the applicable law in Florida.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/m/motion-to-vacate-judgment/

Also interesting: If you included a judgment in Florida in your BK and got discharged, you can file a motion to cancel that judgment one year after discharge. The granted motion can be used to get it off the credit-report AND the judgment is considered "satisfied" - which means that even judgment liens that weren't discharged are now void. In theory, the judgment would still exist and MIGHT still be reported as satisfied but chances are high that the CRAs are going to delete it because you have proof that your motion to cancel the judgment was granted.

If they still don't remove it, you could file a motion to vacate based on the fact that the discharged judgment is now officially "satisfied" - and in that case, the law of my posted link applies again.

It took me quite a while to learn all these issues because I wanted to get rid of my judgment on my CR after discharge - that's how I got aware of these laws. In January 2012, I can file the motion to cancel after BK. That's when I reach the one year post discharge-mark.

• 8 months later...

I want say thank you for valuable info. I just found that i have 3 judgments against me in alachua county. how do i vacate it as i was not even in country when this happen and plus it involved a project business that i found later was against international law. please advise.

carboxygrp at gmail com