Adding an Authorized User with no credit?

Guest hockeyadc

Guest hockeyadc

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum so first off I'd like to say Hi out there.

So my girlfriend has no credit score, and obviously has never been able to get a credit card or any type of loan to have a credit score. I was thinking about adding her as an authorized user to one of my credit cards, but it is currently very closed to maxed out. Would this be a bad idea and would it actually generate negative credit for her? I have no negatives on my credit score and have always paid on time but would it be better off to wait until the credit is down to say even around 50%? Or would even adding her right now and paying the monthly payments like usual still generate at least some positive credit for her at LEAST better than 0 credit?

Thanks

Edited by hockeyadc

First thing I think you should look at is the word "girlfriend" instead of wife. What if you guys break up in six months or she makes some unauthorized purchase?

It can be a nightmare removing someone as an authorized user. Some credit card companies even want the authorized user to request their own removal by telephone or in writing before they'll agree to do it. Definitely something you should consider before trying piggybacking.

Now to answer your question. If your available credit is close to your limit you won't be doing her much of a favor in the short term by adding her as debt to credit ratio makes up 30% of your score. Paying on time is 35%. But overall if you think you guys are in love and always will be ;) adding her could help her establish a credit history.

If I were you I would tell her to apply for low limit easier to acquire credit items like a retail store card or a small student credit card somewhere and build her credit that way.

Perhaps she has a parent that would be able to add her as an authorized user to one of their cards if you guys are dead set on piggybacking.

She needs to know too that not only does she get your good credit history with that card.. she will get bad too if you ever miss a payment etc. That will lower her score as well.

A small secured card and or retail card IMO should be her first option instead.

First thing I think you should look at is the word "girlfriend" instead of wife. What if you guys break up in six months or she makes some unauthorized purchase?

It can be a nightmare removing someone as an authorized user. Some credit card companies even want the authorized user to request their own removal by telephone or in writing before they'll agree to do it. Definitely something you should consider before trying piggybacking.

Now to answer your question. If your available credit is close to your limit you won't be doing her much of a favor in the short term by adding her as debt to credit ratio makes up 30% of your score. Paying on time is 35%. But overall if you think you guys are in love and always will be ;) adding her could help her establish a credit history.

If I were you I would tell her to apply for low limit easier to acquire credit items like a retail store card or a small student credit card somewhere and build her credit that way.

Perhaps she has a parent that would be able to add her as an authorized user to one of their cards if you guys are dead set on piggybacking.

She needs to know too that not only does she get your good credit history with that card.. she will get bad too if you ever miss a payment etc. That will lower her score as well.

A small secured card and or retail card IMO should be her first option instead.

X2

Secured CC

retail store card

Gas Cards

Can easily build her own credit

allow her to earn it , Just as she would have to earn a marriage license :idea: