This has already been said. said. said. said.

Guest crooozin

Guest crooozin

Hello ;)

I developed horrid credit in Oregon, am living in San Jose, and moving to NY soon. wee fun.

I wrecked a motorcycle and died in '06, got divorced (well, I was in a coma anyway) in '07, lost my job but found another one that paid a lot less shortly after that, got laid off in '09 and havent worked since. These are a recipe for financial disaster, actually financial holocaust, let me tell you.

I finally have relearned how to walk, talk, chew gum and rub my belly at the same time... and got a job earning what I should be earning, hence the living in SJ and moving to NY part. SJ is for training, NY is permanent.

My credit is so bad, I can't even get a bank account. I expect to be around here a lot since I'd like to fix it. "good people need housing too" and all that. Yes, I went... as you say... berserk when I found out I couldn't even RENT somewhere, anywhere, here in San Jose due to my credit. After reading this board's history I figure maybe it's a place to stick around and learn.

So please excuse me when I ask dumb questions that have been answered before; not everyone realizes that the mistakes of others offer lessons for themselves. OK maybe it should be "I" dont always realize that the mistakes of others offer lessons for "me."

Thanks in advance.

One part I actually want to get clear first though. There's lots and lots of sheisters out there, especially on the internet, who want to "help" me fix my "poor credit." How do I know you're not one of them? (I know this is akin to asking the devil if he could tell me the truth, but... I'm curious to know the answer I get here.)

Anyway, Thanks for reading my post, I hope to be around here in a year or three with that fantastic credit score I had once upon a time.

Regards,

Crooozin'

Hey crooozin.

First off - congrats on recovering from your bike accident! Holy hell!

Secondly - welcome to the forum!

To answer your questions -

ANYONE that PMs you with any sort of offer to help your situation you need to ignore and forward to any of the moderators. Most if not ALL of those are bad. We seem to do a pretty good job of getting rid of those before they get enough posts to PM, but sometimes one gets through.

This should be obvious but I'm gonna say it anyhow - don't share your real name or other super identifying info with the forum at large - it IS the internet after all..... :-)

Welcome..

How do you know? If someone asks for payment.. that's how you know. None of us get paid to ask or answer questions here so if someone offers to help with strings attached you'll know. I assume you're smart enough to figure out the sheep from the wolves.

Guest usctrojanalum

Just keep in mind that the forum is public. Don't post any information you are not comfortable with anyone with internet access. I would hope you could tell the difference between general people trying to help you and a scam. Be extremely wary of anyone offering you aid through private messaging.

• 2 weeks later...

Rule number one of the credit fight club is....

NEVER PAY ANYTHING TO ANYONE TO FIX YOUR CREDIT

Rule number two of the credit fight club is....

NEVER PAY ANYTHING TO ANYONE TO FIX YOUR CREDIT

rule number 3: NEVER PAY ANYTHING WITHOUT A PAY FOR DELETE LETTER IN WRITING, NEVER AGREE TO PAY ANYTHING AT ANYTIME TO ANY ONE OR ADMIT ANY ITEM IS YOURS OR OWED BY YOU, NEVER USE THE TELEPHONE, ALWAYS USE CERTIFIED MAIL WITH RETURN RECIEPT.

Welcome crooozin. This place is a wealth of knowledge. You'd be wise to stick around and use the search function. I was where you were creditwise in early 2005. Now it is a whole new world. It is a long process, but you should be able to clean it up in two years or less.

Just put things in perspective. You made it through some horrible times. The credit situation isn't life & death- you'll get the hang of it.

Regarding renting:

1) cash is king. when you offer more down payment and/or prepaid rent, you are more likely to get approval even with shoddy credit.

2) rent from a small landlord. They can't afford to have an empty apartment, and their approval process is likely much more flexible than the professionally managed properties which use rigid standards without exception.