Fred Hanna and Associates

Guest wfreema2

Guest wfreema2

Hello. I am in a situation that I don't know how to get out of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I got a credit card at 18 in 2005 and got a little carried away with it. Out of nowhere in September of 2009, I get a summons in the mail from Fred Hanna and Associates. I had never had any contact with them, so I was quite surprised to get a summons. I called them because I didn't want to go to court. I knew that I owed money so I just wanted to start paying it off. Well I admitted to owing money and gave them my debit card number for them to take out some money, $300 I believe. About 2 weeks went by and the money was never deducted from my account. I called them and told them. They said that it was the right account number and that it should come out soon. Another 2 weeks went by, and the money was still in my account. I called them yet again...same response. So I thought, screw it. I left the money in my account just in case. Later on, I looked at my credit report and saw that the original debt with Capital One was charged off....and Hanna wasn't even listed, except where he looked at my credit report.

Well, now a year and a half later, I get a letter from Hanna saying that a judgement was awarded to them in October of 2009 and now I owe them $2000. The original debt was only $900. What the hell? The whole time I was trying to pay them, they were ignoring my requests so they could win in court, knowing that I wouldn't show up because I thought they were going to take the money out of my account.

I have no job. I don't own anything, except for a car that is in my husband's and my name (his is first on the title). I mean, what the hell do I do????

Guest usctrojanalum

in the first two sentences OP says he got a summons. Do they harass you with phone calls or anything else like that? What seems to have happened is when you did not file an answer they got a default judgment what looks like to be about a month later.

in the first two sentences OP says he got a summons. Do they harass you with phone calls or anything else like that? What seems to have happened is when you did not file an answer they got a default judgment what looks like to be about a month later.

<sigh> No excuses for my question. :oops:

Check Georgia law (code)

Determine if an attorney must have a formal assignment in order to rep a client.

We have a member, "Linda", who used to Live in Georgia several years ago and I think she may be very familiar with GA Law.

Is Hanna claiming to rep the OC, or rep a CA orJunk Debt buyer who purchased the account ?

I have no job. I don't own anything, except for a car that is in my husband's and my name (his is first on the title). I mean, what the hell do I do????

You might want to check out a "sticky" on Debtorboards.com concerning making oneself "judgment proof". From your description above, you seem to be in that ballpark. If so, then you can opt to do nothing; unless you want to fight the judgment, which may not be a bad idea.

There is advice on this site that can help in that kind of endeavor, fighting the judgment; the other site, being judgment proof explained.

Making Yourself Judgment Proof

Edited by LearningasIgo

What do you do? Put the house, car and bank accounts in hubby's name, have a couple of babies and enjoy being both a Mother and Judgment Proof. If you must work, work only part time. Then sit back and tell Hannah he can wipe his butt with his Judgment.

Nothing makes a bill collector's day more than a debtor saying "I just had triplets, so guess what I will be doing for the next 15 or so years..."

What do you do? Put the house, car and bank accounts in hubby's name, have a couple of babies and enjoy being both a Mother and Judgment Proof. If you must work, work only part time. Then sit back and tell Hannah he can wipe his butt with his Judgment.

Nothing makes a bill collector's day more than a debtor saying "I just had triplets, so guess what I will be doing for the next 15 or so years..."

Only you would advocate having triplets to get out of paying off a judgment.