How Can I find out who owns my credit card debt?

Hello,

I have an outstanding credit card debt and I'm going to be disputing that debt. Back in 2009, I have tried for several months to work with the credit card company to get a reasonable payment but they could not give me a payment that I could afford. In late 2009, I lost my job and for the first 6 months or so during my unemployment, I made the biggest payment that I would (usually around $100 a month) but that was not good enough for the credit card company, they want minmum of $500 payment and keep calling and harassing me. They keep adding on late fees and not the debt is out of control so I finally gave up and stopped paying the credit card bill all together.

For while, I had collection agency calling me and my family (in a different state) trying to get me to pay the debt. I wrote a cease and dismiss letter which worked and they stopped calling me. Now they are trying to get my husband involved which, I had this card before we were married and he had no knowledge of the card or the debt.

They are trying to serve us with Arbitration paper from Maricopa Superior Court. I live in AZ and from my understanding, when they file a compliant for credit under $50,000 in AZ, it is mandatory for us to go to arbitration. (don't even know if that is true but it is coming from a good source).

So here are my questions....1. How would I go about disputing the charges and verifing that they are even my charges? 2. Since there was a collection agency involved and now they have a legal firm involved, how do I go about find out who actually owns the debt. 3. If I asked the credit card company (which by the way is Citibank) to verifiy the transcation, am I not tipping my defense?

If anyone can help me, i would so appreicate it.

Is the Plaintiff the original creditor or a collection agency?

Check the original creditor's trade line on your credit report. If the OC has sold the debt, their entry will state "sold/transferred" or "charged off/sold". The word "sold" will be somewhere. If it's not, the OC still owns it.

I have not actually been serve yet but was left a business card at my front door stating that I was being service. Look it up on line and according to the civil court case information that you can look up on line with Maricopa, the Plaintiff is listed as Citibank South Dakota, which the original creditor.

Read your court's Rules of Civil Procedure. They will have everything you need to know about being served, arbitration, etc.

Some cc companies will go ahead and include copies of statements with the Complaint. Others send them, if requested, in discovery. If it you're not sure the amount they're suing for is correct, you can deny owing it either in your Answer to the Complaint or in the arbitration meeting...however it works in your state.