GA Stafford Loan Default

billmoney

My GA student loans are in default and have been turned back over to the US dept of Ed. which was the guarantor for these loans. I've been contacted by a couple of collections companies about this debt and have not made any disclosures or agreements with them.

From what I've been able to gather, I would be better off dealing with the US dept. of Ed. directly.

One concern I have is that it's been over 7 years since these loans originally defaulted and I"m wondering how beginning on a payment schedule might start the 7-year "clock" ticking and how that would affect my credit rating.

I'm sure I don't have all of the information that I need to move forward with this, but I am interested in beginning a payment plan to get these loans paid off. I currently owe around $16,000.

Also, is there a way to find ALL of my student loans that I need to begin to pay on?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sounds like a GA FFELP loan that was subrogated by the DOE which restarts the 7 year SOL clock.

Have they attempted to garnish you yet?? Have your taxes been seized?

Once assigned to the DOE, it is not likely you will have the option to work directly with them. They will keep circulating them to their collection agencies.

My suggested is to get them consolidated with the Direct Loan Program ASAP before they force the repayment issue.