Current/Utility Bill when Disputing to Credit Bureau

SoconfusedTX

They want something showing your current address so they ask for a utility bill or a paycheck stub.

They ask for two forms of ID, DL+Utility bill is the most common ones sent from what I've read. You could also send them a copy of your SSN card along with a copy of a recent utility bill confirming you reside at your mailing address.

Generally your ID, and a copy of your credit line item (prooving you have access to their report) is enough.

I would NEVER EVER trust these people with a copy of my Social Security card, ever ever ever.

Why? They are the Credit Bureaus.. They use your SSN to access your accounts. Are you afraid Equifax is going to commit identity theft against you? :roll:

We're not talking about Collection agencies here.. You either provide the CRA's with the minimum that they require for identification or they will simply dismiss your request.

The only thing required under the FCRA for someone claiming Identity Theft is a copy of a state issued identification card. That's all. It is stupifying that anyone thinks that people contacting the bureaus for lesser issues have to provide a higher degree of identification.

A State issued ID card is all you need. If the bureaus give you grief over it, file formal complaints to the FTC, your State AG, and have a consumer protection attorney write the next letter to those nincompoops.