HamInaCan

Student Loans reporting on CR after CH7 discharge

I was discharged from CH7 BKP March of this year.

I have 2 student loans with CitiBank. Of course they are not dischargeble with the bankruptcy filing, but this is the issue I have.

CitiBank is reporting them on all the credit reports as "Ch 7 Bankruptcy Discharged". I disputed all the tradelines on all the credit reports. Citibank returned on all of them as "verified/no change".

So here is my question:

I know auto loans, even if you reaffirm, will show the original loan as discharged. Does that apply to Student Loans too? Can they report them like that even though I will be repaying them? Or are they incorrect to be reporting them like that and answering the dispute with "verified"?

If they are incorrectly reporting them, what are my options and next step?

Thank you!

I know it has only been 1 day and no replies. That is OK, I know it takes a while for an answer, sometimes. :)

Possibly, I should have posted this in the "Credit Repair" or "Credit Bureaus/Reports/Scores" section? Perhaps this forum is not the right place for it?

Thanks!

Technically they are reporting correctly. You chapter 7 was discharged...it doesnt mean that the debt was.

Have you attempted to contact them and get repayment going on this?

Questions: Do the TLs say IIB or "included in bankruptcy"? Were the loans directly from Citi, as opposed to thru the government? If they were private loans that you used for school, maybe they were discharged....

Questions: Do the TLs say IIB or "included in bankruptcy"? Were the loans directly from Citi, as opposed to thru the government? If they were private loans that you used for school, maybe they were discharged....

Private loans are also non dischargable.

If they were FFELP loans, Citi would report the same....and upon discharge, file a claim with the guarantor.

It sometimes takes 3-6 months for things to get going on student loans post discharge.

Technically they are reporting correctly. You chapter 7 was discharged...it doesnt mean that the debt was.

Have you attempted to contact them and get repayment going on this?

Lynn, thank you for the response and clarifying it. Sorry to take so long to tell you thanks too!

They are not private loans but Federal Loans which have been consolidated.

The loans are deferred at this point. I recently was lucky enough to be given a scholarship to finish my Bachelor Degree at a top notch school. I am going to take full advantage of this to better my life.

Thank you. :)++

student loans both fed and private are not able to be part of any bk or debt program. i work with student loans everyday and people always try to add them into a bk

student loans both fed and private are not able to be part of any bk or debt program. i work with student loans everyday and people always try to add them into a bk

Off topic to the original post..... You are correct, BUT, in extenuating circumstances, if you can prove long term hardship, and the court agrees you can NEVER pay back the loans, they can be discharged. Rare but possible.