Zulator

Cell phone calls, is it legal?

I have been getting 2-3 calls a day on my unpublished cell phone number. Isn't it illegal for a JDB to call un-published numbers?

Is it a live human calling or robo dialer?

It appears to be a robo dialer. An automated message was left.

Violation of TCPA

What is the best course of action to prove it and stop the calls? Thanks for your help.

You have to revoke consent for them to call you... meaning send a letter CMRRR.

Create a log of all the calls received, and if possible, record any of the messages received.

Once you have a few calls, then you can either send a letter demanding money in lieu of a suit or just file suit. Damages are $500 per call, and $1,500 per call for willful violation.

What is the best course of action to prove it and stop the calls? Thanks for your help.

I have been getting 2-3 calls a day on my unpublished cell phone number. Isn't it illegal for a JDB to call un-published numbers?

See if Arizona has a "state do not call register", if so register your numbers there. Maintain a log of these calls, which will be supported by your monthly telephone bills, and you have sufficient documentation for a lawsuit in accordance with the laws of the state of Arizona and the TCPA.

Now if you want to play games with these clowns, dial *67, then the area code and telephone number of the caller. This way when your call goes thru, your telephone number will show as "unknown", or "private name ,private number" on their caller id.....then chew their a$$-ets big time !

Edited by Noway

See if Arizona has a "state do not call register", if so register your numbers there. Maintain a log of these calls, which will be supported by your monthly telephone bills, and you have sufficient documentation for a lawsuit in accordance with the laws of the state of Arizona and the TCPA.

Now if you want to play games with these clowns, dial *67, then the area code and telephone number of the caller. This way when your call goes thru, your telephone number will show as "unknown", or "private name ,private number" on their caller id.....then chew their a$$-ets big time !

I go to great lengths to not publish my phone #, not sure how they got it?

I go to great lengths to not publish my phone #, not sure how they got it?

The caller has an automated system whereby their computer will dial numerous( hundreds or thousands) random numbers in a given area code.

Example: area code (123)-456-7890, then 456-7891...then 7892, then 7893...all at random, and continue on and on until the numbers are exhausted in that sequence, then switch to (123)- 457-7890 thru the sequence. Rough explanation...but you get the idea.

Missed calls are not documented on your cell phone bill. The only way to document it is to pick up the call or save the message. I have a arse calling me too. I went to my bill and the calls were not there, so I needed to take a screenshot of my missed calls.

The caller has an automated system whereby their computer will dial numerous( hundreds or thousands) random numbers in a given area code.

Example: area code (123)-456-7890, then 456-7891...then 7892, then 7893...all at random, and continue on and on until the numbers are exhausted in that sequence, then switch to (123)- 457-7890 thru the sequence. Rough explanation...but you get the idea.

Then, How do they know my name???

The problem is, that most large companies, especialy JDB's etc all have ANI systems. Meaning that they have automatice number identification no matter if you block your number or what. Just like the 911 will unblock all calls. Thay have you no matter what.

Get a throw away phone or use a computer type number that you can hide.

Tom

Missed calls are not documented on your cell phone bill. The only way to document it is to pick up the call or save the message. I have a arse calling me too. I went to my bill and the calls were not there, so I needed to take a screenshot of my missed calls.

Correct, an easy way to overcome this...when you get such a call, hit the talk button and hold it for a few seconds...you don't have to say a word., then hang up.. That incoming call number will be on your monthly statement.

If this is a JDB then likely you gave the OC your number and they passed that along with the account. Most people do not even realize that they are doing that when filling out some form and it has a block for cell phone and you just fill it in.

The FCC in one of their most idiotic rulings, caved to the CAs and JDBs in that if you gave the OC the number then they have an "Established Business Relationship" that carries through.

However, they also stated that you can revoke said relationship for the purposes of the TCPA verbally or in writing (just have it recorded if it is verbal). Every phone call after that consent is revoked is at least $500 per call to your cell phone. They add up real fast, I know. :)

The problem is, that most large companies, especialy JDB's etc all have ANI systems. Meaning that they have automatice number identification no matter if you block your number or what. Just like the 911 will unblock all calls. Thay have you no matter what.

Get a throw away phone or use a computer type number that you can hide.

Tom

Very simple and cheap solution to this, no special numbers or throw away phones. Do not talk to CAs and JDBs on the phone.

The only way I will talk with them is when I already have multiple violations, recorder running and want to mess with them a little more before actually filing. However, that said I am not the average consumer and enjoy every minute I spend in litigation with the bottom feeders.

BE AWARE that when you dial a toll-free number, your number will probably show up on caller ID regardless if you hit *67. That's because in the communications biz, there's a little caveat rule that says when the recipient is paying for the call, they have a right to see who's calling.

If you don't want your number to show up, do not call from that number - ever.

Then, How do they know my name???

In the case of collections, it's a bit different. When your account 1st gets to their office, they input whatever info they have on you. If they have a phone number, they put it in the system. Then, if you call from that number, their computer triggers your account when the rep picks up the call.

If they make outgoing calls, your number & name will match up & the robo caller or person can say your name when the call is made.

Collection agency systems probably get more sophisticated by the day.

In the case of collections, it's a bit different. When your account 1st gets to their office, they input whatever info they have on you. If they have a phone number, they put it in the system. Then, if you call from that number, their computer triggers your account when the rep picks up the call.

If they make outgoing calls, your number & name will match up & the robo caller or person can say your name when the call is made.

Collection agency systems probably get more sophisticated by the day.

If a CA is calling your cell with an autodialer, or if they leave a pre-recorded message, they must prior express consent. Prior express consent is given if you gave your number to the OC. If you call the CA and they "capture" your cell number, that is not considered express consent.

You can revoke consent. If they call again using an autodialer, or they leave a pre-recorded message, they're in violation of the TCPA.