shroppy

DV letter sent, info sent back from original creditor

Hi Everyone -

This is my first post and my first real attempt at fixing some issues with my credit. On 6/1 I sent a DV letter to First National Credit Bureau asking for the following • What the money you say I owe is for;

• Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe;

• Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;

• Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable;

• Identify the original creditor;

• Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account;

• Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state; and

• Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent.

based on the FDCPA. Yesterday I received a letter from the original creditor, not the collection company that included a one-page print out of an account statement from 2008 showing the acct #, balance info along with a notice that the account is closed. From my research this should not be considered enough to validate the debt as the collection agency hasn't sent me anything showing that they are authorized to collect the debt. My question is, should I wait until the 30 days are up (6/30) to then send them the letter stating they cannot report the debt or am I required to contact them again now letting them know that they are missing info? If I send the latter, does this increase the time to 30 days again?

Hopefully this makes sense. I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Hi Everyone -

This is my first post and my first real attempt at fixing some issues with my credit. On 6/1 I sent a DV letter to First National Credit Bureau asking for the following • What the money you say I owe is for;

• Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;

based on the FDCPA. Yesterday I received a letter from the original creditor, not the collection company that included a one-page print out of an account statement from 2008 showing the acct #, balance info along with a notice that the account is closed. From my research this should not be considered enough to validate the debt as the collection agency hasn't sent me anything showing that they are authorized to collect the debt. My question is, should I wait until the 30 days are up (6/30) to then send them the letter stating they cannot report the debt or am I required to contact them again now letting them know that they are missing info? If I send the latter, does this increase the time to 30 days again?

It appears the CA got the information from the OC. That's actually what CAs are supposed to do. If they send a printout from their own records, you really don't know if they're authorized to collect or not.

The CA is not required to send everything you requested. According to the FDCPA (§ 809. Validation of debts), all they are required to send is the name of the OC, the amount, a copy of a judgment if one has been rendered, and the 30 day notice about disputes (if they didn't already in include it in their first communication).

They are not required to send contracts, licenses, SOL, etc.

Hi Everyone -

where did you find all of this stuff to ask?