Sign in to follow this  
grifter11

Royally Screwed?

I think I posted in the wrong spot earlier....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 2008 I DV'd Midland aka Satan and they failed to respond so the CRA removed them from my report. I got a summons in the mail the other day for wage garnishment due to a judgment from guess who...Midland.

I called the court, and in 2009 I had a judgement entered against me. I never got the summons - it was sent to a previous address (which I hadn't lived at in over a year plus the DV had my current address...) Needless to say I didn't go to court (for lack of knowing about it.)

Is what they did illegal? Is there any way to fix this? I tried to explain to the clerk over the phone that I never got a summons for the judgement but they weren't listening.

I think I posted in the wrong spot earlier....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 2008 I DV'd Midland aka Satan and they failed to respond so the CRA removed them from my report. I got a summons in the mail the other day for wage garnishment due to a judgment from guess who...Midland.

I called the court, and in 2009 I had a judgement entered against me. I never got the summons - it was sent to a previous address (which I hadn't lived at in over a year plus the DV had my current address...) Needless to say I didn't go to court (for lack of knowing about it.)

Is what they did illegal? Is there any way to fix this? I tried to explain to the clerk over the phone that I never got a summons for the judgement but they weren't listening.

I'm not from VA, so I don't know your court's rules. If it were me, I'd go to the courthouse and get a copy of the everything in the case file. The file should have copies of not only the Complaint, but how they say you were served. Then read your court's Rules of Civil Procedure about service and judgments. Those rules tell you how to go about getting the judgment vacated for improper/lack of service.

You might try also contacting your State Bar Association. In my state, if the bar association provides one with the name of an attorney, that attorney will provide a free consultation.

I'm sure there are others on these boards who might be familiar with your court rules and can provide more explicit advice.