formerpara

Can 2 CA's ccall/write about the same debt at the same time?

We have been getting calls from NCO for a LONG time on an old Citi/Shell card. Got calls on Friday from NCO and in yesterday's mail got a form letter from MCM (Midland) that they own the debt. Can they do this?

Yes. So long as no two companies are claiming they purchased the debt (Junk Debt Buyers). In the CA (collection agency) world, the first to get you to pay wins.

Guest usctrojanalum

I know for a fact NCO does collection work for Citibank, and I am pretty sure NCO also does collection work for MCM. Everything seems kosher here.

Not uncommon for a JDB to use a CA to do the collecting for them. It makes it appear to the consumer they have double trouble.

As long as they both don't say they own it, not a problem. Look at the bright side. It gives you two instead of one company to possibly sue for violating your rights.

It's not like you have the two most compliant CA'S or JDB'S hounding you. :wink:

I would argue that this very question raises the spector that a least sophisticated consumer is like to not know the relationship and who to pay, therefore could pay both. Which would be highly deceptive.

Unfortunately the JDB and CA I simultaniously sued, settled long before I could test this part of the suit in court. It was one count of many.