Shystie4life

Advice on I C SYSTEM Unpaid Collection in NY

Hello,

I have been searching this forum for the past few days trying to find a solution to my issue but I have found nothing recent so apologize if anyone feels that this has been discussed already.

I got my credit report last week and found that I have 1 account in collections with:

I C SYSTEM PO BOX 64378 -SAINT PAUL , MN 55164 -(888) 735-0516 for $77 for the difference of an unpaid medical bill in NY from 2010 that was denied by my insurance company.

I have moved since then so I was not on top of the bills that were sent by my doctor. This bill is still not paid. I have no problem paying the bill, but I am not sure if it is even worth it at this point. And if I pay it to OC would they be able to have it retracted from CA and removed from my CR?

I asked the CA if they will pay for delete and they refused. They said if I paid them it would be a paid collection, but I have read that this will make little difference on my credit score.

In Dec 2010 my credit score was 720 w/TU and it is now 619 w/TU (I haven’t checked the other CRAs).

Can an account in collections affect the score so drastically?

I plan to dispute with the CRA’s but I wanted to know if anyone has had any recent experience with this CA?

What do you suggest I do going forward?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just want it removed from my credit report.

Call the doctor's office. Give them the old "...OMG, I didn't realize the insurance didn't pay this...I'm so sorry...wow...and after you guys took such good care of me...where do I send the check...and, oh, BTW, can you call off th CA".

Medical Collections are freaky. I've seen too many times medical providers bookkeeping dept rather send a bill to collections than attempt to file forms with medical insurance Co. Likely what happened to you.

I'd be on your medical book-keeper and the insurance Co to explain the non-payment.

BTW I'd not pay the $77. Damage has already been done.

If you legitimately owe it,pay the $77 AFTER you have a written commitment to delete the TL. If they will not agree to delete the TL, a $77 medical collection account has very little effect on your credit score.

I am suing them...they never sent a dunning letter, then they sent a letter demanding payment or they will report to the CRAs. Send them a dispute and they will not respond and I am sure they never sent you a letter with your right to validate or the mini-miranda...so if they report to the CRAs without showing it is in dispute...sue them...they will delete and leave you alone.

Thanks for the advice.

I have never received anything from IC Systems in the mail and I don't believe that I have ever gotten a phone call either. Since this is the first time this has happened to me I am unsure of how to proceed. Thanks for the advice thus far. I am going to dispute with CRA and take it from there.

There is so much info online and it can get a bit confusing. I also came across a bill that is currently in congress : H.R. 2086: Medical Debt Responsibility Act of 2011 if this passes any medical debt under $2500 in collections whether paid or not will not be on credit reports.

Also, is it true that fico 08 doesn't factor collection accounts in amounts less than $100 and older than two years?

I just don't get why my score dropped so much.

Edited by Shystie4life

I pulled report from the 3 CRAs and not only found fico scores in varying degrees (645-519) but also noted that one of the CRA’s showed that the CA account as closed on one my report; open on the other 2. I don't understand how that happened but should I dispute this anyway or leave this one alone? I really want it completely removed.

Also realized in going through my own personal records that the $77 is comprised of 3 separate transaction on three separate dates in early 2010 totaling $25.50 each from the doctor’s office (CA did not indicate this). Does it matter that they have combined the total? Also they are reporting from one specific date as opposed to the 3 separate dates?

I also suspect that there may be some re-aging on the reports. A rep from CA told me they reported to CRAs in 1/2011 and again in 5/2011 and they will continue to update until it is paid off (I don’t have any proof of this since it was on the phone).

Do I need to include any additional documents when disputing with the CRA other than the dispute letter? I don’t really have anything to attach.

I have two past bills in collections with IC system inc. and they are for $25 and $37 and I would like to know how to handle this with them.

We need more information. Is IC reporting on your CR? If so, with amounts that low, you might try a pay for delete.

Just to update:

The CA reported to CRAs.I tried to get a PFD and IC (The CA) refused. I did not reach out to the OC.

The Collection was removed from all of my credit reports, TU, EX, EF

I just disputed with CRA's and they removed them within a matter of days.

Edited by Shystie4life