wits end with Experian

madatcb

ok, so in Oct 2010 i found a Amex CC on my credit report that i didn't have. I sent in a dispute to Experian saying it wasn't mine and 20 days later they sent me a response stating it was updated and remained unchanged!

Well then i checked with my father because we have the same first and last name and because by the Credit report i could tell the card was issued in 1995 and i didnt have a CC in 1995. It turned out it is his and his middle name is different than mine. So i asked him for a statement and sent the copy of it clearly showing his middle name and i sent a copy of my DL and SSC the statement copy i secured from my father and a letter stating the facts and it was not my card and i need it removed immediately.

Today i received a copy of my credit report from them stating that "this item is updated from your dispute in Oct 2010" No change! they say that they will not investigate until i send them new relevant information or proof that it is not my acct!

I ask you, if a copy of a AMEX statement is not enough proof that its not mine, what is???? Can i sue them in my local court for this PITA???

What does AMEX say about this account?

If you also had an AMEX account, maybe AMEX is getting them mixed up in reports (even if yours is not being reported).

Find the particulars of how AMEX is reporting. For example, if they are reporting with no middle name at all, Experian may be mismatching to you instead of your father. They should be reporting with SSN which should be a clear solid match. Maybe SSNs are wrong from AMEX.

In any case ask Experian "How is it that an account with SSN (insert father's SSN) is being connected to my record where my SSN is (insert your own SSN) ?". Try to wait and see if you can find out if AMEX is reporting correctly or not. If AMEX is reporting correctly, include that AMEX info in the question letter.

Who to sue depends on who is producing incorrect information and refuses to fix it.

would the 623 work here since it is simply not my acct? most ive read using that method is for accounts that are yours but they arnt verified correctly. I have just found out all 3 CB have it on there so i sent letters to the other 2 today. should i wait until the other 2 come back within 30 days before i write the 623 letter?

it is a 12k card that he keeps maxed out so yes it is hurting me because it looks like i have allot more debt.

Then I could see why you'd want it gone.

Have you tried calling them and disputing it that way and then asking the person on the phone for their contact information so you can fax them your proofs? Get a name and a fax number and try that route.