Strange Insertion on CR from Portfolio Recovery HELP!

greenergrass

I am trying desperately to improve my credit and seem to keep running into obstacles...here is the latest. I had two Orchard Bank credit card which I had stopped paying back in 2007/2008. I brought up my Experian Credit Report, and saw that there is a 'Status' date of 2007, but that they were still reporting on until April/May 2011. Now it shows that one account was just 'charged off' as of July 2011 and the other was 'closed and transferred.' I am assuming that the one that was closed and transferred went to Portfolio Recovery who now owns the debt and is stating that payments of $50 were made on the account to them since last year! This is a total and completely lie! What do I do? Is this a common practice? Any help concerning this would be greatly appreciated!

Writ them a letter and demand they show you proof you made those payments, If they can't prove it and you can prove you did not make any payments then you have a good case for reaging.

By proof I mean credit card transactions or cancelled checks or another form of proof not just a simple ledger that says you made payments.

The "Status Date" is what governs FCRA and nothing a creditor can legally do can change that. They can sell the debt, they can charge it off, they can add interest and fees, they can update to the CRA monthly but none of that changes the Status Date.