Are ANY OC's bound by the same law as credit card companies?

Confused??

Here's the short version...

My husband was a lease truck driver for a nationwide company for a brief period of time. His lease was considered a "walk-away" lease which stated that he could turn in his truck at any time and not be liable for the balance on the lease.

At the time he turned in his truck, he was several weeks behind in payments due to the fact that the truck had been down for multiple repairs. The lease also stated that he would be paid XX dollars each day that the truck was down for repairs, which should add up to enough money to cover the payment. The company never paid the money due, thus putting him behind in his weekly truck payments.

When he woke up and realized that he was in over his head, and turned his truck in, we thought that would be it. I just received a bill for just under 10 grand. There is no itemization of what we are being billed for. Another interesting point is that the bill is from his employer, not the actual leasing company. The actual leasing company is owned by the employer, though.

So my questions are these... How should I proceed from here? I called the company and just left a voicemail indicating that I had a question about the bill. Am I entitled to an itemized accounting of why they say we owe that much? Is it possible to stop this from being listed on his credit report? If I decide to get an attorney (which is probably the case) would a consumer advocate attorney be the best choice or someone in the trucking industry?

Yes, this would most likely be considered a business transaction. Would I be better looking for an attorney from the NACA or someone that is familiar with the trucking industry? I placed a call to the Independent trucking association, and they said if I was going to retain a lawyer it would have to be in Missouri, as that is the state that the company is based out of.

If I were to make a say $50 a month payment would that stop them from being able to put it in collections and/or post bad stuff on his credit report?

The bill they sent is a joke. It looks like something printed out from quick books that just says cancellation of lease, total amount due, number of payments (30) and a minimum monthly payment. None of which he ever agreed to.

There is one and I already called and left a voicemail. Thanks for the help!

Seriously, when it rains it pours... I don't understand. I am trying to get financing for a house, so I'm trying to clean up my credit report as well as my husband's. I just found out that somehow when paying off a legitimate judgment against the both of us that SOMEONE ELSE'S JUDGMENT just got attached to my report. It's showing as satisfied, but REALLY??!! I called the court house and I'm not named anywhere in the case. Someone doing the data entry for satisfied judgments at the courthouse mistakenly attached another case to my report. So now I get to start the whole dispute process for this one too. ERGG! Sorry, I'm just a littly angry. Someone somewhere just doesn't want me to buy a house, I guess.