credit union won't return car title

609dad

Several years ago I took out an auto loan at my credit union. I also had a Visa card from the same credit union. Due to job loss I have fallen behind in the visa card payments. I did manage to finally pay off the auto loan. After paying the auto loan in full, the credit union refuses to return the title to the auto because I am still behind on the visa card. Can they be forced to return the auto title regardless of the fact that I still owe on the Visa card?

Several years ago I took out an auto loan at my credit union. I also had a Visa card from the same credit union. Due to job loss I have fallen behind in the visa card payments. I did manage to finally pay off the auto loan. After paying the auto loan in full, the credit union refuses to return the title to the auto because I am still behind on the visa card. Can they be forced to return the auto title regardless of the fact that I still owe on the Visa card?

Cross collateral is what you are facing..........until you pay off the card they still have interest in the title. Most if not all CU's have this in their terms when you open an account with them.

• 5 months later...