how long from judgement to bank levy

omglaserbeams

how long from debt judgement to bank levy/seize?

and what happens after judgement?

thanks in advance

OMGLB

There is no set timeline. Basically whenever the judgment holder feels like collecting. It could be 30 days after the judgment was entered, or 10 years. It all depends on how aggressive the collector is. If you have a judgment against you, they can levy your bank account any time they want and with no warning, but it wouldn't do them any good if you didn't have any money in the account....

dont the people with the judgement need some kind of writ or need to go to court to levy in Texas.

thanks for your replys

Look up your courts rules of civil procedure. That'll explain the steps necessary to collect once a judgment has been entered. It's different from state to state. But, even so, like I said, they can act on it whenever they want. In most states judgments last for 20 years, so they can collect whenever they want.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dealing with this myself as Equable was just granted summary judgment against me this past Friday. It sucks when the judge is not a lawyer and just takes what plaintiff's counsel tells them at face value. :(

From what I've been able to glean from the Texas Rules, the plaintiff cannot execute the judgment until 30 days after the date the judgment is granted by the court. This is the time period in which you have to file a notice of appeal if that's the way you want to go.