Scam?

fawnifer

I got a phone call from a restricted number stating they were from the County Court office and they were trying to serve me papers at a previous address that I never held. They gave me a phone number for the people who were "serving" me along with a reference number. I called this number and was greeted with a simple "Hello?" and explained that I had this reference number and was trying to get more info.

I get transferred around a bit and eventually land on some guy who says they from CMAG and are in the process of starting litigation to collect on a debt from Wells Fargo! Unless I set up payment plans TODAY they were going to continue with litigation proceeding and I would be served within a week. I asked for validation to be mailed to me and he basically told me he doesn't have to do that and when it goes to court my attorney can file a motion of discovery to get that information.

I just pulled my credit report and 2 of 3 have this account in good standing, and I've never been contacted by wells fargo or ANYONE about this account! Its been closed for 4 years! Wtf do i do?! I'm already in the process of disputing it with the remaining CRA, and I can't find any info on this CA. It sounds like a scam!!

I've read about something very similar a few other times.

It sounds like you're dealing with a collection agency. They are attempting to find your address and other information about you to collect a debt.

The first thing that jumps out at me is they now HAVE to sue you or you can file suit against them for an FDCPA violation. They can not threaten action they are not taking. They can't say pay us or we'll sue you and not sue you when you don't pay. Also, you have every right to request debt validation. Especially if you've never received any communication from them before.. They of course will argue they did provide you with DV and the courts assume they did as long as they have systems in place that are capable of sending dunning letters. Not fair I know but that's the way it's set up.

I would call wells fargo immediately about this account and see if they have sold it to a junk debt buyer or if they are trying to collect the debt.

You say the debt is in good standing? Are you sure you don't have an outstanding balance with wells fargo? Could it be charged off? Does it show a $0 balance and thats why you assume it's in good standing?

I've read about something very similar a few other times.

It sounds like you're dealing with a collection agency. They are attempting to find your address and other information about you to collect a debt.

The first thing that jumps out at me is they now HAVE to sue you or you can file suit against them for an FDCPA violation. They can not threaten action they are not taking. They can't say pay us or we'll sue you and not sue you when you don't pay. Also, you have every right to request debt validation. Especially if you've never received any communication from them before.. They of course will argue they did provide you with DV and the courts assume they did as long as they have systems in place that are capable of sending dunning letters. Not fair I know but that's the way it's set up.

I would call wells fargo immediately about this account and see if they have sold it to a junk debt buyer or if they are trying to collect the debt.

You say the debt is in good standing? Are you sure you don't have an outstanding balance with wells fargo? Could it be charged off? Does it show a $0 balance and thats why you assume it's in good standing?

I suspect that he already has an FDCPA complaint. He should talk to the clerk and tell them what happened. I bet that he'd be told that the courthouse wouldn't pull something like that. He was told by someone from a restricted number claiming to be from the courts that they were trying to serve him, then he was later told that he had 5 days or they would sue. Unless AZ is one of those states where you can serve somebody, then file, it is pretty much guaranteed that he was told a lie and somebody was seriously misrepresenting who they were. Even if AZ is one of those states, it still sounds like somebody was seriously misrepresenting who they were. It is the epitome of false and misleading on many levels.

Also, I have NEVER dealt with a state funded agency that restricted its number so that it wouldn't show up on caller ID. I don't live in AZ and things could be different there, but that would be very bad for a government agency to not be 100% forthcoming as to who they really are.

So I went to the site for the Arizona county court clerk to look up if there was a case filed against me. I could find nothing filed for my name or maiden name.

I'm calling Wells Fargo today to see what I can see. The account is listed on 1 credit report as No status with no balance or date, 1 credit report as no status, sold to another lender, no balances or dates, and the 3rd credit report as charged off as bad debt, 1700 dollar balance, last payment was 3/07 and is projected to fall off 2014. It is listed as disputed on all reports.

Anyway, they haven't called me again and I'm wondering if since their initial "you are going to get sued unless you pay now" tactic didn't work that they cut their losses and leave me alone. Tomorrow is payday, however, and I am picking up a pocket recorder and recording all future conversations if they continue to harass me...

Any more tips, tricks, or advice? I'd sure appreciate it :)

Read this thread for possible future reference:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forums/there-lawyer-house/309138-arizona-statute-limitiations-question.html

Find out exactly what happened with the account. If you paid it off, gather all proof that you paid it off. Keep a detailed log of every time they call you. I would consider the call from "the courthouse" a call from them. Find out who they are, their address, etc... If licensing is required in AZ for CAs, find out if they are licensed.

Basically, start stockpiling ammo. I'm sure others on here will have some good advice beyond that too.

CMAG, aka CM Association Group, is NOT licensed to collect in AZ, at least not on that AZDFI site under that particular name. Kinda hard to find out if they practice under any other guise since they give out NO info, literally telling me to Google them.

Wow.