cofdq8

Debt Validation - A computer printout ?

I am desperately hoping someone can hep me with a debt validation issue..

A company by the name of JL Walston is stating that I owe them a utility bill in the amount of 2300 dollars....I requested Validaton of the debt. They sent me a copy of one bill which totaled 300 dollars and then a computer printout that simply stated, "balance forward 2000"....

It did not have my name on it...no account number, nothing. I even filed a complaint with the BBB, to which the creditor replied that if I thought the account was fraudalent I would need to initiate a police investigation, otherwise pay in full.

What can I do now? Does a computer printout satisfy the burden of debt validation ?

I should also say...that while I'm fine with being patient yet aggressive...this one particular debt is one that I need removed asap...it is keeping me from getting a car loan.

After two debt validation letters sent to CA...what is the next best thing to do in order to get it OFF my credit report ?

My understanding is that your name and account number must be on the validation they sent you. Otherwise it has not been properly validated.

Have you disputed the item on your CR?

Adam - Thanks for responding. Although I am doing a lot of research, this is by no means an area of expertise for me.

They did copy one bill that had my name on it...totalling 300 dollars...although I didn't live at that address at that time. The second sheet was literallly a printout that looked as if they just typed something up that said, balance forward, 2000 dollars.

I did dispute it with all the Credit bureaus and they have said that it is verified.

As far as the credit bureaus...send the a method of verification letter.

As far as the CA - the requirements for validation are pretty minimal... they only need to identify the original creditor and the amount due. That's about it...but there is a lot of debate as to whether it needs to be on an OC statement or a CA letter...the courts are all over the place.

It 'was' my understanding that there were several specific things a CA had to provide, such as a license proving that they can practice in my state (ohio), a signed contract etc...None of which they provided.

How can I be sure I owe a utility company 2300 when it's merely jotted down on a computer printout ???

I did dispute it on all three reporting bureau sites....to no avail.

It 'was' my understanding that there were several specific things a CA had to provide, such as a license proving that they can practice in my state (ohio), a signed contract etc

None of that needs to be provided for debt validation, the legislative purpose of debt validation was solely to make sure a CA/Creditor is dunning the correct debtor.

No- a CA is only obligated to name the original creditor and the amount due.

Call the utility company and see if they can send you a copy of your final bill.

Now if the CA is not licensed, then you need to complain to the appropriate regulator. They can be fined for failing to be licensed.

It 'was' my understanding that there were several specific things a CA had to provide, such as a license proving that they can practice in my state (ohio), a signed contract etc...None of which they provided.

How can I be sure I owe a utility company 2300 when it's merely jotted down on a computer printout ???

I did dispute it on all three reporting bureau sites....to no avail.

Not for debt validation. Now if they were to sue you then they would have to provide more.

I guess I'm confused by that...all the sample debt validation letters list multiple things that the CA needs to provide you with...They did send one bill for 300...where the "forwarded 2000" came from I have no idea.

Should I send a letter try to settle and pay for a delete on the 300 ?

Again, you'd be wasting time with the collection agency... call the utility company directly. Get a copy of the final bill.

I guess I'm confused by that...all the sample debt validation letters list multiple things that the CA needs to provide you with...They did send one bill for 300...where the "forwarded 2000" came from I have no idea.

Should I send a letter try to settle and pay for a delete on the 300 ?

Many of the letters you find that request everything but the kitchen sink are useless. According to the FDCPA, CAs and JDBs are not required to provide anything but the name of the OC and the original amount. It's still being debated as to whether or not they must show the information came directly from the OC.

A few questions:

1. Is the debt yours?

2. Is the utilities company reporting on your CR?

3. Does the utilities company still own the debt?

4. How old is the debt?

Many of the letters you find that request everything but the kitchen sink are useless. According to the FDCPA, CAs and JDBs are not required to provide anything but the name of the OC and the original amount. It's still being debated as to whether or not they must show the information came directly from the OC.

A few questions:

1. Is the debt yours?

2. Is the utilities company reporting on your CR?

3. Does the utilities company still own the debt?

4. How old is the debt?

I would not say useless. Maybe they do not need to have all of it to validate the debt, but I would think it sends a message to the CA/JDB that you know of certain documents they need to provide in order for them to satisfy their burden of Proof. They will see that this is not going to be an easy default judgement, they may not be as inclined to sue.

I would not say useless. Maybe they do not need to have all of it to validate the debt, but I would think it sends a message to the CA/JDB that you know of certain documents they need to provide in order for them to satisfy their burden of Proof. They will see that this is not going to be an easy default judgement, they may not be as inclined to sue.

I agree. It could send a message that one knows their rights relating to the burden of proof. On the other hand (yes, I'm stubborn), CAs and JDBs know there are letters available on the internet and that the consumer may not actually be versed in the FDCPA.

I don't believe in wasting words when communicating with a CA or JDB. I would simply request validation per the applicable section of the FDCPA and include that section. Since I have not requested information they are not required to provide, they then must decide if I copied an internet letter, or if I really have knowledge of the FDCPA.

Adam - To answer your questions:...

The debt is technically mine, although I have no way of knowing if that amount is correct. I did not live in the house at the time. My ex husband did...but the utilities were in my name.

The Utility company is not reporting the debt...It is being reported by JL Walston....It is from 2008. This is the first time it has ever been put on my credit report.

Hi I want to ask for help any ideas or suggestions are welcome:

I sent to a CA law firm a letter of dispute to validate a debt they say I owe within the 30 days they allow under the FDCPA.

the letter is a sample on this site asking to provide me competent evidence that I have any legal obligation to pay you.

please provideme with of the following:

.What the money you say I owe is for;

.Explain and show me how you calculated what you said I owe:

.Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agree to pay what you said I owe;

.Provideme with verification or copy of any judgment if applicable;

.Identify the original creditor;

.Prove the statue of limitations has not expired in this account;

.Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state and If you have a lawyer that has a current license in my state then provideme with your attorney license number and registered agent.

in general the same letter for validation post on this site.

what happen is that the CA law firm sent me a bogus validation just Computirezed print out papers from the collection agency.

they are bill statements from the creditor from 2,009 but incomplete that's all

I call the FTC their representative told me that is ilegal under the FDCPA to do that so I can pursue this in court.

my question is Can I sent a letter post it on this site Sample letter 13 "Notification to collection agency your suing them"

Date

Your Name

Your Address

City, State Zip

Collection Agency

Collection Agency Address

City, State Zip

RE: Account #xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

To Whom it May Concern,

Your firm has failed to send the legally required validation of this debt. You have been notified that your actions are detrimental to me and that your firm has violated (including but not limited to) the Consumer Credit Protection Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Your firm knew or should have known that the actions taken against me and the information collected about me was inappropriate and damaging to me.

Failed to use reasonable care in the course of business and failed to use even minimal procedures to ensure that I was not harmed.

Communicated and are continuing to communicate incorrect and defamatory information to third parties including but not limited to: Equifax, Experian, and Trans Union.

As a result of these blatantly reckless, wanton, and intentional acts, I have suffered and continue to suffer general and specific damages. I am also very upset at your firm's intentional infliction of emotional distress and at the other diminishments of the quality of my life.

I am now demanding the immediate and complete removal of this tradeline from my credit reports (Equifax, Experian, and Trans Union).

As I am currently attempting to apply for credit, time is of the essence. Please understand that I am extremely concerned about the consequences of the actions your firm is having on my life. Please be advised that, if this matter is not resolved by xxx, I will take any and all necessary steps to protect my rights.

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Your Signature

please If any idea or advised are welcome please e-mail me or tell me what to do.

thank you

You need to contact the utility companydirectly and see what the balance is. You will not be able to resolve the amount issue with the CA, as they only have to give you what they were given. Which doesn't seem a lot. So go to teh source and get some real info before you make your next move