Nationwide Legal?

kleep

So I got a call from a local number. Guy was a real jerk and wanted to know "where do I want to meet him". At first, I thought it was a prank call, but then he says he's a "process server" hired by Nationwide Legal. I got a phone number, but not much else. I looked on the web and the BBB, but get conflicting results for such a generic name and no matches on the number.

I worked long and hard to pay off and settle debts over 2 years ago before I bought my house. I really can't imagine what this is about. What I did learn here is to be pro-active in these things.

Should I call this number, wait for this jerk to find me, or what?

If there were a collections out for me - wouldn't they attempt to contact me otherwise also? I mean, mail, phone themselves, etc? Isn't it a court requirement that they attempt to collect first?

There was a company back, 7-8 years ago (still fair game in KY) that claimed I owed on a credit card that I never had. They popped up over and over for a couple of years with different CAs - I'd DAV and they'd go away and come back - you know how they are.

It was never mine, and I haven't heard anything out of them in several years now - just racking my brain trying to think if this is legit...

As far as I know, the only people I owe money to right now is the cable company - I forgot them and it's due tomorrow (guess I know what I'm doing for lunch!)

If there were a collections out for me - wouldn't they attempt to contact me otherwise also? I mean, mail, phone themselves, etc? Isn't it a court requirement that they attempt to collect first?

There was a company back, 7-8 years ago (still fair game in KY) that claimed I owed on a credit card that I never had. They popped up over and over for a couple of years with different CAs - I'd DAV and they'd go away and come back - you know how they are.

It was never mine, and I haven't heard anything out of them in several years now - just racking my brain trying to think if this is legit...

As far as I know, the only people I owe money to right now is the cable company - I forgot them and it's due tomorrow (guess I know what I'm doing for lunch!)

What do you mean still fair game in KY? If it was 7 or 8 years ago, isn't it outside the SOL by now?

Credit Cards are 5 years, written contracts SOL is 15 years in KY. But this debt was never valid - I had never even heard of the credit card company. They came back again and again and again. For some reason, it wouldn't surprise me if someone took it to court.

I had a company threaten to take a 1994 debt to court just a couple years ago - it was a musical instrument I bought years ago. I had actually paid it off in the late 90s, but they didn't have record of that and the 15 years wasn't up yet. Since it was such a major purchase for me, I still had the receipt and they dropped their pursuit.

Regardless of everything else - If someone is trying to take me to court - I will be there! So I looked this morning and there's noting listed for me. I'm going to call just to be sure - but I think this was just a scam; someone trying to scare money out of me.