When to Pay

SoconfusedTX

I sent a letter to my doctor requesting a PFD under the conditions the item be deleted from my credit report by the collection agency.

I recieved a follow-up letter from the doctor, agreeing to my PFD settlement offer, and also agreeing to have the collection agency remove the account from my credit report.

I also received a letter from the collection agency, that the item has been sent in to the credit bureau to have the item removed. The letter states to allow 30 days for this action to occur.

My question is:

Should I pay the doctor now, or wait to ensure the item is removed from my credit report before any money is paid?

You already have it in writing from both the doctor and the collection agency they will remove it. You can pay them now. I'm VERY suprised the CA and the doctor agreed to remove it BEFORE they received payment... But you have what you need to win in court should they repost the debt or not remove it all.

thanks

Yes I was shocked at that as well.

The doctor did state in their letter that if I don't pay it within 90 days, it will go back to collections.

The doctor probably agreed because I stated my HIPPA rights had been violated. Even though they did send the document I sign that collection agency can be given my information to collect. They also stated that the collection agency signed a confidentiality agreement.

I still think they violated my rights because it showed information such as diagnosis and detail procedure information.

I still think they violated my rights because it showed information such as diagnosis and detail procedure information.

You are correct. I researched the hell out of HIPAA laws a few months back and it was very clear that Medical providers can provide Collection agencies with information about your debt. It is to be the minimum amount necessary for them to collect that debt. The name of tests can be included if you owe for those tests. Example. Collection is from. John Doe Cancer Hospital for a Biopsy. That is fine to provide because it covers the who, what and why.. But if they include stuff like Diagnosis of Stage 4 cancer they have violated your HIPAA rights... Your diagnosis is not required for the Collection agency to do their job.

But also, just so you know.. You can not seek damages for a Hipaa violation. You are not legally allowed to receive any compensation. You have to file a complaint with the Department of health and human services. They investigate. They set the fine if their was indeed a violation. The average fine is $100. If a place has multiple offenses it can run into the 10's of thousands of dollars per offense but in most cases there are only minor cases and the average fine again is only $100