Hurricane Irene: Print your documents BEFORE you lose power!!

Patz

For anyone in the path of Hurrican Irene who stands the chance of losing power, you might want to finish and print any documents you need for court coming up soon. They say it's possible power could be down for days.

I have something I need to file by Friday, and just realized I better finish it today and have it ready just in case.

Can you imagine not being able to access anything for days? Will the court grant automatic extensions due to power outages? Who knows. But why chance it?

I would assume that the time limits will remain regardless of the whether there is power at the courthouse. In fact, I might have filed a motion for more time to answer due to a natural disaster Friday afternoon just to CYA. I base that on the fact that after Hurricane Katrina, many people were not able to file for BK under the old laws because the courts were closed and congress did not allow for an exception for the time limits even though there was no way to file.