is Sallie Mae hard to deal with?

Newlywed

Just got an email that my Citibank student loan was sold to Sallie Mae. I was in the process of making payment arrangements with Citibank but they said I may as well wait until Monday because Sallie Mae was taking over.

Haven't found any positive info about Sallie Mae's practices online. I'm hoping I can consolidate my loans & make some kinda arrangement with them, we just went through a bankruptucy & are just starting to get back on track financially (still have two credit cards of my mother's to pay off, even though I'm technically not responsible for them via the BK). But what I'm reading about Sallie Mae doesn't sound good.

One person suggested getting a loan from a bank to pay it off but since I filed BK would probably need a co-signor and I don't have one.

anybody dealing with Sallie Mae for for student loans? Thanks.

Hi.

You have read correct about SM.

May I ask:

Why do you have to pay mom's 2 credit cards? I assume they were discharged in the BKP?

Also, what arrangement are you looking to set up with SM?

I would avoid a personal loan with a bank, you forfeit a LOT of rights that way. Forbearance, Deferment, usually lower interest rates and longer payment time periods. Also possibly the fact if you are ever completely disabled, you can petition to have your student loans discharged.

I had my loan with Sallie Mae deferred for an entire calendar year. If you're in trouble financially let them know, ask them for a deferral.

Keep in mind that with student loans, they can levy your accounts without informing you that they're intending to take agressive action, and they DO NOT NEED A JUDGEMENT to do so. In other words, it's not a traditional debt.