Did not pay but received a paid letter by mistake

almostthere

I have a past due account with Verizon that went into collections with Allied Interstate. I called to settle and asked for a settlement letter before I sent payment. They refused, stating they had already sent 2 out. I am sure they did but i guess I just tossed it aside. A supervisor gets on the phone and finally says he would send a letter by email. Instead he sent over a paid in full letter by mistake. So I call Verizon to get a number to fax over this letter to have them remove it from my reports. Verizon contacts Allied and Allied says they did not receive payment and will not remove it from mt reports. No I did not pay them but thought maybe I could benefit from their mistake. What to do next?

I don't think there's a way to leverage this particular error. Imagine a situation where you get your local TV Consumer reporter to go after the situation and she shows them the letter and the credit report where it still says "unpaid" and they tell her the letter is a mistake and she asks you to produce a copy of your canceled check. It won't fly.

I'm seldom at a loss for an angle to pursue, but there really isn't one here.

How much are we talking about here?

I always say credit repair is about just that... getting our credit repaired not trying to get enrichment from mistakes made by creditors.

What you're asking help for is immoral and unethical.. but hey, I'm not Jiminey Cricket. From what you've already typed it's apparent you've already tried to send a copy of the letter to their billing trying to get it removed and it didn't work.

You can bet they are not going to remove it on their own without payment. They've already verified that you didn't pay them.

If you really want to take the dishonest approach.. and possibly illegal approach. You could write disputes to all three credit bureaus including a copy of the paid letter as proof that the tradelines need updated to show paid instead of unpaid.

Just so you know though.. Paid or Unpaid.. Fico Doesn't care. Either status effects your FICO the same so unless you can get it deleted from your reports all together updating the status to paid with the Credit bureaus will do nothing for your score. Only verizon removing will have a positive impact.

Take care,

Hal

Just got off the phone with them. Looks like it will be going away:) I am now debt free. Now I just have to wait for my scores to improve. Thanks for the responses. I wasn't trying to be immoral. I just thought as much as they like to screw people sometimes, they can have a dose of it back.