Unwilling Debt Slave?

rikkivs

A friend of mine recently got offered a job at a very large collection agency. The offer looks good but he is concerned that he might be in their databases. They are the largest holder of debts in the country...If he got hired and they found him in their database, could they dock his pay? Or sue him while he is employed there?

legally speaking can they really dock his pay? that sounds like a huge lawsuit waiting to happen.

the debt and the money earned through employment are two separate issues IMO.

but do you really want to GIVE your personal information to a collection agency (your name, social, address, telephone number, date of birth,) THAT sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. you're pretty much giving a collection agency more info than they need to have.

the compensation better be outstanding to go through all the potential headaches.

i'd pass too :confused::confused:

I saw a news report a while ago about a CA being sued because they fired a collector when she refused to pay on a debt that they held. I do not think they can dock your pay without a court order, even if you work for them. In fact, when I worked in a grocery store, I remember people who stole from the store and they still got their full check up to the point they were fired.

That said, I would pass anyways. I want nothing to do with the business. My mother did the same thing when someone asked for her to be their part time accountant in a collection business.

Yes my buddy is conflicted and they are offering him everything under the sun and a very good salary. He wouldn't be a collector at all; he's a tech. But you guys have a good point, I told him that I wasn't sure if he would be able to sleep at night due to his conscience eating away at him. Fact is I said now this reminds me of a movie with Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves... Be careful who you work for. My suspicions are confirmed. Thanks very much.

• 2 weeks later...

They were offering so much to my buddy then they didn't call him for a couple of days and tried to play hardball with salary negotiations. The last thing was that they wanted to do a background check. My buddy told them that he was laid off a couple of years back and his credit took a beating but he had arrangements with all his creditors. I think that was the show stopper. But in this economy, they will be hard pressed to find anyone looking for a job with stellar credit. It just wasn't meant to be;) At least my buddy can look himself in the mirror with a clear conscience though. I think that is worth more than all the money in the world!

If they have an enforceable judgment against him, they can attach his wages no matter who he works for, I should think. Judgments are good for a certain number of years and have to be renewed from what I've read. He should know whether he has a judgment against him, and when it was granted. Checking the expiration date etc should be an easy matter. He always runs the risk of having some enterprising lawyer look him up once in a while to see if there is anything to get if the thing is still valid.

Legaleagle I'm unsure of your point but you are certainly correct if he had judgments against him they could attach wages but that wasn't what we were talking about. More or less they did a background check on his credit and they don't want someone with a lot of chargeoffs because they buy a lot of charged off debt. It would be a conflict of interest to work for a place to which you are indebted AND be in charge of their computer systems;)

A friend of mine recently got offered a job at a very large collection agency. The offer looks good but he is concerned that he might be in their databases. They are the largest holder of debts in the country...If he got hired and they found him in their database, could they dock his pay? Or sue him while he is employed there?

I took a job with an auto finance company that sounded familiar to me. LOL when I checked the database using my SS I found myself lol. However, when I checked just using my name nothing came up. And I worked in the legal department. LOL

Anyway, he should do what I did... say nothing and work to the best of his ability. Simple.

Yes my buddy is conflicted and they are offering him everything under the sun and a very good salary. He wouldn't be a collector at all; he's a tech. But you guys have a good point, I told him that I wasn't sure if he would be able to sleep at night due to his conscience eating away at him. Fact is I said now this reminds me of a movie with Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves... Be careful who you work for. My suspicions are confirmed. Thanks very much.

... or "The Firm" (1993)

The Firm (1993) - IMDb

I took a job with an auto finance company that sounded familiar to me. LOL when I checked the database using my SS I found myself lol. However, when I checked just using my name nothing came up. And I worked in the legal department. LOL

Anyway, he should do what I did... say nothing and work to the best of his ability. Simple.

Well with this tech position they run his credit report because he'd have access to a lot of data. But you're funny though; working in the legal dept of a finance company; it goes to show how disorganized they can be.8-)