Sign in to follow this  
DefendantNewb

Interesting Settlement Experience

Well, thanks to this forum I had the confidence to file my Answers and to 'do it my way,' instead of allowing the CA to trample me. For that I will be eternally grateful! What a fabulous community.

That being said, I didn't feel confident enough to fight, or morally correct in trying to evade my financial obligation altogether, so I chose to offer a settlement. It was accepted, naturally, as winning a judgement is one thing, but collecting is another ball game indeed. I paid with a cashier's check and received my dismissal with prejudice along with my settlement letter. The eight-hundred pound gorilla is off my back!

Successful settlement aside, I thought it was rather strange that while in the law office today, I was seated and my entire case file was slapped down in front of me and left with me to sift through; all the while the paralegal ran around making copies and had the lawyer sign everything. Not only that, but I was left in their conference room, which was littered with hundreds of case files! I could have accessed the sensitive, private information of others easily. I sat there laughing. They had noted all sorts of extreme statements in my file, including one about the fact that someone failed to submit a Certificate of Service, and that 'She knows her stuff, must request media immediately before trial!' After exhausting the case file I turned around to look at the office space, and it was littered with cubicles and people making the same generic phone calls repeatedly. Then there was this horribly grumpy girl in tattered clothing stuffing envelopes, hundreds! My goodness is this country in for it. Everyone and their Mother's in debt, and in default.

There are some real characters that work in collections, that's all I'll say- and what a MESS! These "law offices" are simply disorganized, chaotic collection agencies themselves.

Thank you, CIF!

Good for you. You can also see how mistakes are made with these firms too because they're so disorganized. Congrats on the settlement.

Congratulations! If you're happy and comfortable with the settlement, that's all that matters. It's a success. :everybodyclap: